2000 Mercury Sable trouble code P1409

My car originally failed emissions testing because it threw a code for the bank 2 oxygen sensors. I replaced the sensors, cleared the codes, and tested
to make sure no other codes were thrown. It showed clear of any codes and I had no check engine light. When I went back to the DMV they plugged in and BAM, up popped code P1409. Now the car has the light on again, and I have no clue what the problem is or what caused this new code to pop up out of the blue. Does the EVR actually need replacement, or did the new O2 sensors cause this? Any ideas??

EGR Vacuum Regulator (EVR) circuit fault may be caused by a open or grounded wire going to it, even a loose connector at the regulator. Nothing to do with the O2 sensors that you replaced. If the guys at the DMV were under your hood doing a visual inspection, they might have knocked something off to cause the fault.
Thanks for your advice. Off hand, do you know where the EVR is located on a 2000 Sable? Is it difficult to access? I don't want to spend big money getting a mechanic to fix this problem, especially if it's a simple thing like a loose connection or an easy fix like the O2 sensors were. Thanks again for all of your help!!
ToolNut wrote:

Sorry, I have no idea where the regulator is but if it were me I would go to the library and see if they have Michell manuals, which are a hundred times better than all the rest. These manuals are written for the Pro- mechanic and more complete and specific. Good luck!