2000 Mystique follow up

2.5 Duratec

My dealer found a faulty fuel injector as the cause of the misfire/rough running. In the process, having to r/r intake manifold for the injector, dealer said plastic IMRC bushings for a secondary intake runner control were dry rotted or cracked and replaced those also.

Does this sound legit? This Mystique has only 48,000 local one-driver miles, never hot rodded. Is this just another example of crappy Ford engineering, like the failed plastic gear ($400+ for motor/gearbox replacement) in this car's moonroof motor?

Reply newsgrout post only, e-mail is fictitious.

Jack

Reply to
JackFoster

Speaking of crappy engineering, driven a Honda or Toyota lately?

Reply to
FanJet

Actually, I have. Excellent vehicles.

Reply to
Jeff

I have. In fact, I've put about 55k miles on our '03 Accord and it hasn't given me nearly the problems our Taurus had accumulated by 55k miles. No dead air conditioner. No dead alternator. No dead ignition module. No failed PLASTIC brake master cylinder. The Taurus had all of those problems by 55k miles.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Argh, plastic engine parts. Horrible idea. Plastic deteriorates over time, especially when subjected to heat and vibration.

John

Reply to
John Horner

And there were 10s of thousands of Taurus that didn't as well as 10s of thousands of crappy Accords. Oh, just heard, Honda's revolutionized the auto industry with PLASTIC intake manifolds. Of course Ford pioneered them ten years before. BTW, the problem with a PLASTIC master cylinder is?

Reply to
FanJet

Is this the same Ford plastic intake manifold on the 4.6 Crown Vic and Mustang motors that was replaced by an updated model...due to cracking? I would love to see the rationale in being proud of that one.

FanJet wrote:

Reply to
hellranter

There is not longer a need for an iron intake on modern engines since all they distribute is air.

mike hunt

.

Reply to
Mike Hunter