2000 Ranger Blown head gasket at 43,000 miles

Hello, I have a 2000 Ranger 4door,4wd with 4.0V6 and automatic. It just turned 43,000 easily driven miles. Never off road. The passenger side head
gasket blew this week leaking antifreeze out the rear. Dealer suggested replacing both as the engine will be torn down that far. At a cost of app. $ 1400.00 total to do both I am not a happy person. Has anybody experienced this at such low mileage with this powertrain setup? Any thoughts as to if I might have any recourse complaining to Ford? Thanks for all replies. I've owned Fords for 38 years and my faith is going down hill rapidly.
Robert Dion wrote:

Did you ask the dealer about talking with Ford to pick up part of the cost? You can speak to a factory rep.
Jeff

You blew a head gasket and it leaks antifreeze out where you can see it? That sounds like an intake manifold gasket, which wouldn't be that big of a problem.

PS That sounds like a $700 repair to me anyway.

How often has the antifreeze been changed? Has the pH been monitored? Most common cause of 4.0 head gasket leakage to the outside.

Thanks for all replies. Antifreeze has been changed every 2 years. Ford responded with no programs or recalls available to deal with my issues, which is the answer I expected. Both head gaskets are being replaced and one cracked head at a cost of $ 2400.00. I figured do the other gasket while it's torn down that far as preventative maintenance.

andy wrote:

<...>
If you're going that far, you might be better off getting a rebuilt engine. I found one on the web where rebuilt engines were around $1000 to $1500. You might also be able to get rebuilt engines from Ford for not too much more than you're paying. Also,check with your local shop.
Jeff
Thanks for reply. I though a little about rebuilt engine. To buy off the WEB scares me a bit. I've made many WEB purchases for auto parts (restoring 1970 Challenger R/T). Most were good purchases but some not so good due to misreprentation. You never know what a rebuilt engine's past life was. Seeing as the rest of my engine seems fine, I went with the gaskets and head (it does only have 43,000 original miles on it). I have the vehicle back today and all is well except the front ABS sensors being shot. Those will stay just as they are seeing parts are app. $ 180.00 per side. I will pull the ABS fuse and live with normal brakes as I have been accustomed to for 30 + years.
cheers, and thanks for input