2000's Ford Escorts

I see 2002 Ford Escorts for sale pretty commonly. They're a tempting proposition, because I remember the 90s Escort having a pretty good reliability history, especially the ones starting with the 1997 redesign
(and even the 91-96 models to SOME extent).
The thing is, though, officially, in 2000 the Escort was replaced by the Ford Focus. If that is so, how come I keep seeing 2001 & 2002 Ford Escorts for sale? Were they special models for the car rentals or something?
LRH
I think they were rentals. Try asking here:
http://www.feoa.net
The ZX2 inherited the Escort legacy from Ford. From what I've read about them, the first ZX2 models still had the "Escort" emblem or logo attached to the body, but this was slowly phased out over the years to shake off or differentiate the ZX2 from the Escort.
So the later models you are referring to don't have any "Escort" markings anymore, but are still direct ancestors.
Probably rentals yes. Perhaps Ford has some contractual obligations with some fleet customers they had to fulfill. I've seen them as well online at used car sites.
I had actually considered replacing my 1990 Escort GT with one of those used 2002 ZX2s, but still driving it. Talk about reliable...
Matt
AFAIK, Ford is still making the 97 and up model Escort to rental fleets only. They're all automatics, therefore. They're fantastic cars. In fact, the 97 that I owned was the most troublefree car I've ever had -- bar none.
CJB

Although the Focus did indeed replace the escort, they were sold side by side through the 2003 model year, and were offered as manual or automatic; the ZX2 label was just eye candy; it was still an escort. I bought my '95 excort new, and with 125,000 miles, still runs great.

The later model sedans (>1999) were either fleet or rental cars and were finally discontinued in 2002. Other than some nuisance issues (and be SURE to check that the rear springs haven't broken), they're very good cars.
Of course, the ZX2 coupe is still around but will probably be retired soon enough.

After 2000, ZX2 coupes were still for sale to individual car buyers, while sedans were for sale to fleets (e.g. rental car companies).
Timothy J. Lee