2000 Sable engine problem

I know this is a ford group, but the mercury sable is a twin so I figured I might get some help from all of you. I have a 2000 Mercury Sable wagon that I purchased the last week of Dec, 1999. The car has
41,000 miles. Recently the check engine light came on and after two visits to my garage, they told me there was a problem with a cylinder. After discussions with the dealer, they said Ford Motor Co. would absorb most of the cost and I'd be limited to a $500 outlay. That was a week ago and I'm still 'waiting for the part to come in'. My question: is this a known problem with the 2000 models? Did Ford know about this and not tell the consumers? Everyone, including the dealer says this should not happen on such a young engine. Comments are welcome. Myrna

From a purely layperson view... I would ask for the specifics! Trouble with a 'cylinder' is pretty vague.
If you're still driving it, take the car to autozone and get that code and come back here.
The code, not what they say it means!
On the larger point... there is nothing wrong with Ford 'knowing about it it and not telling'. Happens with all MFRS... did you see the headlines about 2003 VW Passat coil-pack failures? Nope!
What IS wrong is if Ford will reimburse for all the work and the dealer charges you an add-on, if that is the case. But we wont know that unless we know the specifics
you pay..DEAL with it!
Trouble with a cylinder - garage said cylinder was not holding pressure. I have no idea what the code was. Wish I could go to autozone but the car is at the dealer and they have it taken apart. Thanks to the internet, I now know to go to autozone rather than paying for codes to be read.
I realize manufactures don't always own up to problems. Sometimes people in the business do know about these problems and I was wondering if this is known on the street.
Thanks for responding. Myrna
I know of no common problems with either engine available in the Taurus/Sable in 2000 that would result in a low compression situation. I'm assuming that you have a problem in the head.
Honestly, I'm AMAZED that Ford is giving you any credit at all on this car. Even if it has low mileage, the thing is still 6 years old. That means that you're car went out of warranty 3 years ago.
CJB

In some of the recent Taurus and Sable models there was a problem with blown head gaskets. As I recall, I think it was '99 or so, the company said they would extend the warranty on head gaskets for Taurus 6 cylinder engines rather than to recall them all for repairs. I have a 99 Taurus wagon. No head gaskket problem but the dealer tells me the intake manifold gasket leaks and they want me to replace that for around $500. Well, my car still runs good with over 100,000 miles and I'll wait until it becomes a problem.
Myrna wrote:

Awelch wrote:

Thr motor with the head gasket problems was the 3.8 liter. It went away after about 1995 in the Taurus. The very reliable 3.0 Vulcan, I believe, is still available. The "other" motor for the taurus, since about 97(?), is the 3.0 Duratech. I recall seeing a dead cylinder on a couple of Duratechs that I believe were caused by a valve concern. These engines were replaced under warranty and not torn apart fot inspection.It has happened, but it's very far from being "common". The Duratech is proving to be very reliable.
The only V-6 that I know of that had head gasket problems is the old 3.8. It's last year in the Taurus was 1995. Ford did indeed extend the warranty period on 3.8L engines, but not either of the 3.0's used since 1996
CJB

Myrna wrote:

Which motor do you have? The 24 valve duratek? What were the symptoms before you took the car in? Did the dealer do any work on it before this happened?
Bob
-
All I know is that it was the 'big' 6. Apparently there was a smaller engine that was available. The only symptom was the Check Engine light. Absolutley no difference when driving. The dealer did no work on the engine before this happened. No work done on the engine anywhere else either. Myrna
There are two V-6's, but both are exactly the same size. However the Duratec has significantly higher output than the Vulcan.
CJB