2000 taurus brake switch

Does any one now how to adjust the brake light switch thats down on the peddle? The brake lights don't come on until the peddle is at the bottom of the stroke. Any help would be great.

Reply to
Greg Hodge

From my service manual, it looks like both the regular and adjustable pedals use the same brake light (or what Ford calls Stoplamp) switch. When you push on the brake, the switch itself is pushed against the rod. It is NOT adjustable. The switch itself moves barely 1/16"

On cars with the adjustable pedals, there is a recall due to grease from the spring and other parts above melting and running down into the switch. It then causes the contacts to arc. That makes it so hot it melts the plastic, causing the switch to fail open or closed. Mine has been replaced TWICE. I bought a spare. It's easy to change.

Here is a picture of what it looks like:

Andrew Rossmann

It's not adjustable. There's a NHTSA notice on a similar subject where grease from adjustable pedals seeps into the switch causing a malfunction, but a local dealer closest me wouldn't fix it because it wasn't a recall in their system. So I just replaced the switch (although I bought the switch from a different dealer, where I got the car originally)... Only $17.

r/

-Ian

Reply to
IanCT