2000 Taurus Code Retrieval

My 2000 Taurus decided to give my first check engine light now that I have just passed the 100k mile mark. Is there a way to retrieve the codes without running out to buy a code scanner? I thought that I have seen this here in the past but I can not seem to find it and google isn't helping me with Ford. I can find plenty of sites detailing the procedure for Mopar and others but no ODB II Fords.

Thanks for the help!

Reply to
scott(remove_to_reply)

The bad news: you have to use a computerized OBD II scanner.

The good news: AutoZone, and perhaps others, will pull the codes for you. After that, you have to figure out what to do with what you know. Do NOT let them convince you that the codes will tell them exactly which part you need to buy from them. Often a single code can come from a number of differend causes.

CJB

"scott(remove_to_reply)" wrote in message news:E9Mtd.6429938$ snipped-for-privacy@news.easynews.com...

Reply to
CJB