2000 Taurus Code Retrieval

My 2000 Taurus decided to give my first check engine light now that I have just passed the 100k mile mark. Is there a way to retrieve the codes without running out to buy a code scanner? I thought that I have
seen this here in the past but I can not seem to find it and google isn't helping me with Ford. I can find plenty of sites detailing the procedure for Mopar and others but no ODB II Fords.
Thanks for the help!
The bad