2000 Taurus Coolant Leak??

Friday night drove 400 miles arriving early Saturday morning. Sunday morning when I went to check the fluids for the return trip, the coolant bottle was empty. It was at the full level before the trip as I checked all the fluids before we left. I poured in a little over a 1/2 gallon coolant to return it to the full level and took a short trip to look for leaks. Didn't find any, so decided to chance the return trip. Today made the 400 mile return trip. 4 hours after the trip and the coolant reservoir is still full. At no time did the temperature gauge move up higher than the half-way mark on either trip, exactly as normal. The gauge is working as it slowly creeps up when starting cool. What gives?

Reply to
Harvey Sprayberry

"Harvey Sprayberry" wrote: (2000 Taurus)

Confirmed full coolant reservoir and drove 400 miles. Waited one day, checked reservoir and it was empty. Poured 1/2 gallon coolant into reservoir, drove 400 miles. Waited 4 hours, checked reservoir and it was still full. Temp gauge never showed anything unusual. What gives? _____________________________________________

The reservoir level is dynamic, not just full or empty. Check its dynamic performance to determine if everything is okay:

1.) Confirm that radiator is full and measure reservoir level COLD. 2.) Drive 10 miles and immediately measure reservoir level HOT. 3.) Wait 4 hours and measure reservoir level again WARM. Wait overnight, then: 4.) Confirm that radiator is full and measure reservoir level COLD.

During testing, observe temperature gauge readings, listen and smell for visible/invisible fluid leaks, look for cracked hoses or wetness anywhere. Post another message here with the results, and someone may have a valuable diagnosis.

Good ludk.

Rodan.

Reply to
Rodan