2000 Taurus - Duratec Misfire on #6

Just read the code P0306, #6 cylinder misfire. Can anyone run down the list of possible causes? This engine has coil-on-plug. It just happened tonight, never had it before. The engine only has 54,000 miles on it and has been maintained pretty well. Regular oil and filter changes, coolant change too.

Thanks!

Reply to
sleepdog

In approx. order of probability: 0. Dead spark plug 1. Faulty COP 2. Arcing COP boot 3. Faulty injector 4. Low compression 5. No injector pulse or spark pulse from PCM

There are likely other possibilities, but my bet is one of the first 3.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Thankfully #6 is facing the front of the car!

Reply to
sleepdog

Hey Tom,

I swapped the COP boots between #6 and #5 cylinders and picked up P0305, #5 cylinder misfire. Not having access to all the cool diagnostic tools, seemed like the thing to do. I'm not driving this car until I get this figured out.

Would this indicate that I should replace the faulty COP? I ran the motor last night in the dark and did not see any light shows.

Was also wondering if equivelant Bosch Platinum plugs would be good replacements if I decide to change the plugs.

Thanks! sleepdog

Reply to
sleepdog

I thought you were a regular on here!!

Discussed, again and again...NO! Bosch makes a plug that fits, just havent figured out how to make 'em run reliably, yet.

Since Motorcraft OEM Plats seem to run fine for at least 80,000 in most, what would be the benefit, anyway?

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Did you swap the whole COP or just the boot? If it was just the boot and the miss moved to #5, the boot is arcing through. If you swapped the whole coil then it could be either one. Look closely at the boot. Look for carbon tracks at the plug opening. Looks like a pencil mark with a "halo" around it. Also look at the side of the boot for a "spot" with a "halo" around it. This would be where the spark is exiting. Make sure you put silicone dielectric grease in the boot before putting it on the plug. As for Bosch plugs, NEVER use them in a Ford product. You will very likely develop strange driveability concerns after a few thousand miles if you do.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

I am I just could not remember, though I did have a hunch. Thanks!

Reply to
sleepdog

I swapped the coil and boot, so I'll take another look. The car is still under warranty so I am going to see what the dealer can do for me, since the blend doors also do not work and the driver's side door inside plastic keeps popping out. Also a recall on the front coil springs... been saving these issues up for the inconvenience of losing the use of the car for a few days.

Thanks!

Reply to
sleepdog

The dealer replaced the ignition coil for the one cylinder, cost only the $50 deductible from the premium care warranty and got a free loaner/rental for the day. The only place I could have gotten a motorcraft coil **today** was from a dealer and would have been double in price. Got the car back same day too. Not bad. But considering what I paid for the 6yr warranty... $$$ oh well.

The Chrysler Pacifica rental was pretty plush, leather, navigation, dvd... the wagon pales in comparison.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Reply to
sleepdog