2000 taurus hard to switch from park to drive

I have a 2000 Taurus with 27k miles. It is no longer under warranty. After I have the engine started, I have trouble switching from park to drive. This just happened few days ago. Could someone please tell me
what might cause this problem. Thanks.
Steve
The brake switch may be the concern. Press the brake pedal and have someone check the brake lights. Do this when the condition is happening. If the lamps fail to light, replace the switch. I believe there is a recall or program on the switch.
John

In posted on Thu, 25 Sep 2003 12:38:16 -0400:

It may not be the switch, but the wires going to the switch. I was advised that my brake light switch was bad when mine exhibited the same problems. However, it turned out that the ground wire going to the plug attached to the switch was corroded in two. The switch itself works perfectly when the ground wire is intact.
Damaeus
Good Advise
posted on

someone
the
snipped-for-privacy@nswccd.navy.mil says...

There is a safety lock that prevents shifting out of park without pressing the brake.
First, make certain you are firmly pressing on the brake. You may not be pressing quite enough. I'm not certain if it's mechanical or an electric solenoid. It may also depend if you have column or center-console shift.
If it's electrical, it could be failing. If it failed totally, I don't think you could get it out of Park at all. I think there is an override if that happens, though.