2000 Taurus ignition key replacement

We bought a clean 2000 Taurus for our college bound daughter. The previous owner had one ignition key and said this key can only be duplicated at a Ford dealership at a cost of $60.00 - $100.00 Something about a computer
chip in the key.
Seems like an anti-theft device, but they steal these cars everyday. To replace the key, do we have to go to a dealership? Anyone have information on this?
thanx in advance
Frank
Frank from Deeeetroit wrote:

http://www.fordf150.net/howto/patskey.php
says...

The car has PATS (Passive Anti Theft System.) There is a tiny chip in the key that the computer must know about before it will let the car be started. You normally cannot use an unchipped key.
With only one key, additional keys can only be added by connecting the security system through the computer, since you have a 2000 vehicle (pre- 1998 can do it without that). Once you have two keys learned, you can add more yourself without hooking up to the computer.
If you want, you can have security disabled in the computer. That will let any key start the car, encoded or not.
There are some placed that sell chipped keys, but again, with only one key, you need a programming tool to add it.
Frank from Deeeetroit opined in

Ummm this is why car-jacking have gone way up.
I was in a locksmith shop the other day and surprised that he advertised making security keys... check in the yellow pages
If one has TWO keys it is a simple, no cost, process to encode an additional key other than the price of a key containing the chip, which is around $25. For security reasons the same procedure sill NOT work if one has only ONE key. If the procedure worked with ONE key, any parking lot attendant could duplicate your key, just like they can if you give them your house key. You need to take the vehicle to a dealership so a technician can download the proper code from the vehicle in order to then make a duplicate. You must pay for his time, as well as the cost of the new key.
mike hunt