2000 Taurus Noise While Starting / Idling

Hello;
I have a 2000 Taurus that recently started making a noise when starting. It sounds like something is rattling around inside the engine. Almost like someone put a nickel in the area where the
starter meets the flywheel. This was preceded by an overall hard time getting the car to start. Lots of turning over and no start, or dying right after starting.
It has also developed a noise very similar to a chirping belt, but when I looked under the hood, the noise is definitely coming from the driver side of the vehicle, near where the starter is.
Any suggestions as to what is wrong would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you;
Rondo
Rondo wrote:

My guess is that you're missing teeth on the fly wheel. The part is not that expensive. Getting the engine out to change the part is, however.
You might also just have a bad starter.
Jeff

I ended up taking in to get looked at and it ended up being a bad connection to the starter and thus a low voltage issue.
The engine noise is a cam shaft sensor. They said that it wouldn't be an issue for quite a while though since it only does it on cold starts for a short period of time. (hope this is true)
Another problem arose though. The fuel system isn't holding pressure and causing hard starts etc. Any ideas as to what would cause this?
Rondo
Rondo wrote:

Good. Glad I was wrong.

You could research this on the net and see if it is unlikely to be an issue. But replacing the camshaft sensor is probably not a huge job. And knowing when it will go won't really help you.

Bad fuel pump? Dirty filter?

REPLACE THE CAM SENSOR NOW. It also runs the oil pump. and the engine will run without it - but not for long!!