2000 Taurus replace bumper cover but what about absorber?

Just curious, the bumper cover is easy enough to replace, but it looks like the service manual indicates that rivets need to be removed to replace the bumper absorber beneath the cover. Do new rivets need to
be used to fasten the new absorber to the bumper cross member? Is this an easy task I can do with a heavy duty rivet gun? The absorber is only about $90 from a ford parts site so it would be cheap as a diy project, just don't want to get to the point of no return and find myself coming up short. I think the damage on the cover is only cosmetic but thought I'd replace the absorber too just to be safe. A cable truck backed into the Taurus at a very low speed.
Thanks!
Why are you doing the job? The cable company insurer should be paying the cost?

Their insurance cut us a check for $1200 and I can get a new painted cover for about $250, absorber for $90. If we take it into a shop we lose the car and have to pay for a rental for, I don't know, three to five days? It's mostly about not losing the car while it's in the shop. It looks easy from the Ford shop manual, just wondering if I should plan on buying a rivet gun to replace the absorber, or if it's not necessary.
Thanks, Matt

Their insurance cut us a check for $1200 and I can get a new painted cover for about $250, absorber for $90. If we take it into a shop we lose the car and have to pay for a rental for, I don't know, three to five days? It's mostly about not losing the car while it's in the shop. It looks easy from the Ford shop manual, just wondering if I should plan on buying a rivet gun to replace the absorber, or if it's not necessary.
Thanks, Matt
Their insurance should also pay for your rental car while it's in the shop. It should only take one day for the shop to remove and replace the bumper (actually less than 2 hours) since there's no painting involved.

.
I don't think they will cover the cost of a rental, looking into it. If the shop does it they will get a primed bumper on their own and have to paint it, but I can also order a new cover with the correct paint code from a place out in Ohio. Also the shop will soak up the entire $1200, I might be able to get buy on $400 if I do the absorber. Just looking into all the options. Thanks
If the repair estimate did not include an absorber why would you do not need to replace it?

Their insurance cut us a check for $1200 and I can get a new painted cover for about $250, absorber for $90. If we take it into a shop we lose the car and have to pay for a rental for, I don't know, three to five days? It's mostly about not losing the car while it's in the shop. It looks easy from the Ford shop manual, just wondering if I should plan on buying a rivet gun to replace the absorber, or if it's not necessary.
Thanks, Matt
On Fri, 9 Oct 2009 16:16:09 -0700 (PDT), sleepdog

If both absorbers stick out the same amount and aren't bent I would not waste money replacing the one. A new one won't make you any safer, it's only good, if you can call $1200 worth of repairs "good", for helping a little in low speed fender bangs.