2000 Taurus Revs High in Neutral

When on Highway, if I slip it into neutral the rpms shoot up to 3k. Also when starting cold it revs high for at least 10 seconds then comes back to
1k.
Any ideas..
Thanks
S M L wrote:

and RPMs shoot up: condition sounds normal
Start cold, high RPM tapering down to 1K in 10 seconds; close to normal, but Idle Control Valve may need replacing.
S M L wrote:

First, take your foot off the pedal. THEN:
Don't do that. Why would you do that. Don't do that. It doesn't save any gas or brake linings. It's not easier on the transmission. Don't do that.

Normal. Not just the Taurus. GM even has a problem w/ transmissions(4L60E) because of this behaviour.
Rob
I discovered this by trying to isolate a vibration problem at high speeds...And my foot is not on the gas.....for some reason when the vehicle is doing 75mph the computer is telling it to keep the rpms up....this doesn't seem normal to me...

S M L wrote:

It's normal. I won't explain the details, but it has to do with the PCM operating strategy. The PCM doesn't expect to see ~60-80 MPH with the trans in neutral. It keeps the RPM way up to lessen the chance of damage if the transmission is re-engaged at that speed. Basically, Don't Do That!!! The PCM can only provide SO much protection from stupid abuse like that. If that was a 70s car, either the trans would come apart when re-engaged or the engine would overspeed. Why in hell would you put the trans in neutral at 75mph and then re-engage it?? If you are doing stupid stuff like this to find a vibration, you really need to take the vehicle to someone who knows what they are doing before you cost yourself a bunch of money.
Tom..
To me this seems like a dumb design because the car seems to not slow down as all my other cars have when you take your foot off the gas when the car is in drive....to me it seems like I always have to have my foot on the brake to slow the thing down.
Thanks for your imput...Even though you seem to be making me out to be a moron...(grin)
Steve

S M L wrote:

The 2000 Taurus is a very slippery free-rolling vehicle - by design, for fuel economy purposes. Believe me, when it doesn't need fuel, it shuts off as much as possible.
Rob

S M L wrote:

the $2K. I've got a daughter starting college in the Fall ;) Seriously, going into neutral and back into drive can damage the transmission. It's just not a good idea. Like Rob said, that car rolls very easily and loses speed slowly when you take your foot off of the gas. I noticed that right away going from a pickup to a 98 Taurus. It's nothing to worry about.