2000 Taurus stumbles or stalls

3L V-6 with about 60,000 miles getting 25MPG always. When cold as in 40 to 50 F the engine may stall and die or when just starting down the road at about 25-30 MPH it may hesitate then pick up and run fine. No problems when warm. No indicators on the dash. Dealer charged $65 to look at codes and replace something called the air bypass idle air control valve. Of course they tried to sell me a injector cleanout job also which I refused. I took them a full day to replace that little motor-like device atop the engine and $195.00 P&L. Two days later it did the same thing during a cold start-up then settled down and ran fine. Did I screw-up by not having the injectors cleaned? I've always heard that it was a waste of $. Pops
Reply to
Pops

Injector cleaning is not a waste of dollars. Deposits do build up and performance may decrease. Most of the gasolines on the market today have plenty of detergent in them, but given the miles you have it wouldn't hurt.

I would shop around for the best price on the cleaning, and find out exactly how they do it. If they are removing each injector individually and cleaning (just about as easy as pulling a spark plug), then I would consider it. If they are simply dumping a bottle of injector cleaner in the tank, then I would turn around and leave. You might try buying a bottle of injector cleaner and follow the directions on the back. I did that for my

80K mile Windstar w/3.8 and it made a difference for me.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
gmach3

In news:alt.autos.ford, "Pops" posted on Mon, 03 Jan

2005 18:04:00 GMT:

'98 Sable here. I've never had my injectors cleaned and with 171,600 miles on mine, it takes off like a spotted ape. But then I'm a firm believer in getting the lead out when taking off. I don't stomp it, but I don't ease up to speed, either. I typically accelerate faster than the pack at the red light.

I don't know. In my experience with cars, they seem to run like shit when I first get them. I don't do much to them beyond normal maintenance, but after a few months of my driving habits, I swear they run much better.

I think most mechanics will tell you that it's good for a car to get it out on the highway and blow the soot out of it. And I just never let the soot build up in mine. Mechanic says the inside of my engine is exceptionally clean. To me, that means I've been doing something right, so I just keep on doing it.

The only problem mine does have, and it's had this problem since I've had it, is a problem with clattering. I have to burn premium. But so far I haven't taken it in to a Ford dealer for that specific problem. An independent shop said they never could get it to clatter. I guess I should have put some regular in there before taking it to them. :-)

Damaeus

Reply to
Damaeus