2000 Taurus trans problem

My daughter was driving her 2000 Taurus on the expessway and when she exited the trans started slipping. When she stopped at a light the car would not move in any gear.

Fluid level is correct and pinkish, not burned. She got it towed to a garage and the guy will look at it on Monday.

I realise that there could be a bunch of issues here, but anyone have an idea? The car has 120,000 miles on the clock.

Thanx

Reply to
Frank from Deeetroit

There were 2 different transmissions in those cars. The 3.0 pushrod "Vulcan" engine usually came with the AX4S, basically the same as the old AXODE, and it occasionally came with the AX4N. The 3.0 OHC Duratec, because it's a more powerful engine, came only with the AX4N, aka 4F50E. Neither trans is great, but the AX4N is supposed to be a little better. Even so, I had an AX4N/4F50E fail under factory warranty at 30k miles.

That you got 120k out of either is doing pretty good, frankly.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

Sounds exactly like what my sis-n-laws car just did to here. She has a 2000 Taurus as well. It was making a noise for a couple months before it went though. Its was a total loss, Ford Trans guy said it couldnt even be rebuilt. It had messed up the interiors of the trans case.

She is lucky enough to have a 99 Sable for a parts car though. We are goin to just pull the whole front cradle, engine, and tranny all at once and do a total swap. The drivetrain in the Sable has less miles than the taurus.

Oh and my SNL's car has about 120,000mi on it as well. The sable only has about 90,000mi...

Ford Tech

Reply to
Ford Tech

Thanx guys for your insight.

Frank

Reply to
Frank from Deeeetroit

There is a Wikipedia entry covering the AXOD/AX4S/AX4N:

In 2000, Ford supposedly went back to a steel forward clutch piston, as it was the main cause of failure in the 90's. They also went to an adaptive shifting algorithm to further help trans life.

How often was the original trans fluid changed? It should be changed every 30K miles or so, given the issues with this transmission.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

I feel your pain. I have a 1998 Sable with 124,000 miles on it. Looks great, runs great, etc. Last week I went to pull out of the driveway and it would hardly pull itself forward. I had to put it in L to get it to even move, then it moved VERY slowly. If I waited it would finally get up to about 30MPH and could be shifted to Drive and be OK. But at any stop it was the same and got worse. Revrse worked fine also. Local shop is rebuilding it right now. Best estimae they could give was $1,700.00 plus or minus $300.00. Sounds like 120k miles is the magic number on these cars. :)

Tim

"Frank from Deeetroit" wrote in message news:PvedncpE99GEL0rYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
TCottom

I got the car to a trans shop in the area. $1400.00 for a rebuild, new converter, and a i1year warranty.

Reply to
Frank from Deeetroit

It'll cost you more money, but I highly recommend a new transmission cooler. If there's metal or junk in the old one, it's impossible to get all of it out with a flush, no matter what the trans shop says. You don't want that stuff screwing up the new trans. Better to spend a few more dollars now than to regret it later.

CJB

Reply to
CJB