2000 Windstar LIftgate Ajar - "Springy" things??

I'm trying to determine where the sensors are that detect whether the liftgate is closed. My "Liftgate Ajar" light has been on for a while
now. I tried spraying everything with wd40, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to remove some bolts and check for corrosion or loose sensor connections.
I'm not sure if the sensor is located somewhere inside the latch assembly on either side of the door in the middle, or if has something to do with a couple little rectangular plastic "springy" things that are located on either side of the door near the base. Maybe I'm wrong altogether.
I'm willing to just start pulling stuff off until I find wires, but I was hoping someone here might know what those "springy" things are if possible.
-marc