2000 Windstar Passenger Door Lock

I am having problems with the passenger door lock. When I use the keyless entry or the lock/unlock button on the doors inside the van, the door will not lock or
unlock. To unlock the door I have to use the handle on the inside of the door. I have to manually push down the lock. What could be the problem?