2001 Escape Brake Pedal "Hiss"

The brake pedal has started emitting a slight "hiss" @ the firewall. This stops when the pedal is depressed slightly. I'm guessing the air booster has a small leak but not a critical safety
issue? Does that sound right? Is there a easy fix? Thank you for any comments.
--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

"John Keiser" wrote

Description and a Flash movie of the booster in action:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/power-brake2.htm
Hissing at rest means either: - The seal between the housing and the piston assembly has gone bad. - The internal valve isn't seating properly, allowing outside air to constantly leak through the booster. Could be a piece of dirt, a chunk of the air filter (the pedal's pushrod goes through a foamy, spongy thing... the filter), or some kind of corrosion on the valve's seat keeping it from closing. Pressing the pedal a bit moves the internal valve enough to seal the front chamber from the rear, so no more flow.

When mine started hissing years ago, by the time I got it to the shop later that day (maybe a 20 minute drive), I had to stand on the pedal with both feet to stop, so yes, it IS a critical safety issue, unless you don't care about your life or that of others around you.

Replace it.
On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 21:30:45 -1000, "John Keiser"

You problem can progress to a sudden catastrophic failure very quickly without further notice. It is a safety concern and should be repaired at the earliest opportunity with as little vehicle operation as possible until it is repaired. The ass you save may be mine!
Lugnut
I made an appointment to have it fixed [under warranty].
Thank you for the feedback.
--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 11:37:24 -1000, "John Keiser"

Good move! Glad to hear you have someone to contribute to the cause.
Lugnut
John Keiser wrote:

Is it me or is there some kinda of booster failure lately? Its been so long I can't remember the last time I saw a bad booster.
I've owned cars for 40 years [generally much older models than this] and never had a problem before.
--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.