2001 explorer sport track idle

Threaded View

I ahve a 2001 FOrd Explorer Sport Track which I just replaced a bad battery
on. At the same time, the idle is now
no good. I have to gold the accelerator down 1/4 way to get it to start.

Is this an ECU reset issue? How do I reset it?  I battery off right now,
just in case that can reset it.

Re: 2001 explorer sport track idle

https://web.msslib.dealerconnection.com/RightSite/getcontent/myfile.pdf?DMW_OBJECTID=09000c588024b0b6

Go to page 201. It will show you what to do so your truck will "relearn" its
idle.

SC Tom

Re: 2001 explorer sport track idle

I guess my main problem is it wont idle at all without my foot pressing down
a little.
I'll give this a try. I am also going after the codes later today to see
what else this thing can tell me.

battery
https://web.msslib.dealerconnection.com/RightSite/getcontent/myfile.pdf?DMW_OBJECTID=09000c588024b0b6
its

Re: 2001 explorer sport track idle

This sounds more like a problem with the Idle Air Control Motor. See
http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/idx/0/170/article/Ford_Explorer_IAC_Fix.html
.
Yours might be a different style, but the basic process is the same.

See also:

http://www.explorer4x4.com/iac.htm

Ed

https://web.msslib.dealerconnection.com/RightSite/getcontent/myfile.pdf?DMW_OBJECTID=09000c588024b0b6

Re: 2001 explorer sport track idle

http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/idx/0/170/article/Ford_Explorer_IAC_Fix.html
.

It very well may be the IAC- I've replaced mine twice in the 50K miles I
have on my Escape. I tried cleaning it the first time, but that only lasted
about a month before it started messing up again, so I went ahead and bought
one. They're reasonably priced at RockAuto.com for the Motorcraft part. The
other part that went out on me was the EGR sensor (DPFE), but that set a
code when the IAC didn't.

SC Tom

Re: 2001 explorer sport track idle OK NOW

Thanks guys.
I did the whole battery reset thing with teh engine hot and the thing reset
itself.
whew.

thank you again.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/idx/0/170/article/Ford_Explorer_IAC_Fix.html .