2001 F 1-50 4.6

I have a little problem with my 4.6, I purchased a scanner at my local parts store, it is telling me that # 5 has a miss fire. What side/ location is the
# 5 at. I also changed the packs on both sides 3rd back from the front. ( kinda switched them around) it still tells me # 5 is the problem. And yes my little scanner cleared the code from the computer so it cant be the code left over. Any ideas, similar problems and what could the solution be ?
On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 18:42:55 -0500, "Sue Milbury"

Ford numbers engine with #1 starting on front of right bank number toward rear and the left bank. A V8 would be 1-4 on right bank and 5-8 on left bank. #5 on your 4.6L is the first (front) cylinder on the left side.
Lugnut

Ok Right or left, ???? Drivers side or passenger side ???
Sue Milbury wrote:

Right is always from the point of view of the driver. So when you're under the hood from the front, it is to the left. And when you are looking from the back or the passenger compartment, it is on the right.
If you're in the use or another country with the steering wheel on the left, it's the passenger side.
If you're in the UK or another country with the steering wheel on the right, it's the driver's side.
Jeff
Just to clear it up.... #5 is the front cylinder on the drivers side.
On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 03:32:53 GMT, "Jim Warman"

Not if your in the UK. It has always seemed so simple to me that these things are from the perspective of the flywheel end on almost any application. Just when I thought I was conversing with someone who knew right from left, they asked it the other way! If I had said from passenger side, they would sure as hell be working with a UK vehicle. Then again, many highly respected publications will refer to the engine as clockwise rotation when it is really counter when viewed from the flywheel end. Who knows, anymore?????
Lugnut
On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 03:32:53 GMT, "Jim Warman"

Damn! I just blew it on my reply to you! I forgot to describe to them which end the flywheel end is. Or could it be the flexplate end?? Maybe I could just say the end opposite the one with the fan. No the fan is mounted on the side of some. Of course, on a sidewinder mount engine ........? Oh, the hell with it!!!
Lugnut

Ford numbers the cylinders of a vee engine as if each bank is separate inline engine, with the number of the cylinders in the second bank starting where the first bank cylinder numbers ended. Bank one is the bank most forward of the flywheel. The cylinders in that bank start with 1. For a V-8, the cylinders in that bank are number 1 thru 4. Bank two cylinders are numbered 5 thru 8. See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firing_order
http://www.donzig.com/images/fo-ford.gif
http://www.boxwrench.net/specs/ford_289_302-5.0.htm
Ed

With such a large engine, did the driver sit in the back seat ?
Ed... make that "gas" engines.... diesels are numbered with the "odds" on the right hand side and the "evens" on the left...
For the OP (and everyone else).... the "accepted industry practice" is to view the corners of the car (yes... even "Escape" cars") from a point of view as if we were sitting in the drivers seat.... Confusing for some since, when we face the front of the car, the left side "feels" like the right side...
Top-postingly yours.....

I assume that the #1 cylinder is still the cylinder farthest from the flywheel, whether it is on the left or the right.
Ed
Yes, Ed... #1 and #8 are both in their "rightful" places... everything else is jumbled up to suit navistars view of the world..
Lord only knows what will happen when Ford starts marketing their own diesel.... It's already almost a chore to keep gas and diesel straight in the old guys brain...

Possible exhaust valve not sealing tight enough ???