2001 Ford Chateau hesitating

Our ford Chateau started hesitating and is only happy when in idle. Check engine light is on, everything else is fine but when it is going any speed it
feels like it is skipping for lack of better words or hesitating but still gives us all that it has. Hasn't stalled on us. Just running very rough. Any ideas for what may be causing this? Thanks for the Help!!

Have the codes pulled. AutoZone will do that for free, as will others I understand.
CJB

CJB is right. Get the codes. That's why Ford puts in those computers.
Jeff