2001 Ford Escape Door Troubles

Has anyone had problems with any of the side or back/cargo door opening on your Escape? My wife's back door and the right front passanger door won't open. The Passanger door will open from the
inside but not the outside. Yes, the doors are "unlocked". But, for some reason, the handles are not working. Any clues? Should I look at fuses or is this something that a mechanic will have to attempt to open up the insides of the doors to get to the problem?