2001 Ford explorer rear hatch lock and window lock

I had something slam up under my outside handle which opens my rear hatch. It knocked the handle loose from whatever cable is in there that unlocks it. I can not open the rear hatch OR the rear window. I took it to the dealer who said I would have to buy a whole new hatch for 1550.00 (used)to "fix the lock" Is this true or is he telling me that because I am a girl? I can't believe that no one has had this latch break before and why would Ford design something so if the latch broke the whole hatch needs replaced? I told him that I only want to be able to open the hatch/window. He said he can't get to them with out tearing the door apart and you can't do that without being able to open it because the screws are on the bottom. Any suggestions? All I want to do is be able to open my hatch. I don't think it needs 1500 dollars worth of work. The only thing wrong is the handle broke loose.

Reply to
jensford

It looks like I can easily remove the inside panel on my 91 hatch with it closed - 4 screws along the top. Then it should be easy to reach in and actuate the mechanism to open it and replace the handle.

Being a girl greatly increases your chances of being ripped-off by mechanics. Add a few percentage points if your blonde...

-jk

Reply to
jk