2001 Ford Explorer Starting Problem

Hi,
I'm hoping someone can figure this out. My wife has a 2001 Ford Explorer with the V6 4.0. We were having a problem to where it would not crank without giving pressing the accelarator and I thought I had
it solved on two seperate occasions. First time someone suggested that it was the Idle Air Control Valve (IAC) so I replaced that and the car cranked fine for a week and then it started doing it again. Someone else suggested that it might be the fuel filter so I then replaced that and it has been doing perfect for a month now until today when it wouldn't crank till I pressed on the gas pedal. Whenever you step on the accelerator pedal while trying to crank it, then it will crank fine but if you don't press on it then it will not crank at all. Anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

"Cranking" is the engine rotating with starter power.
And by 'pressed' do you mean to floor? or partially?
Suspect either bad/flaky TPS or flaky Fuel Pressure regulator (more common on GM cars than Fords: my dads lumina had same problem, brother said it was FPR, I disagreed.. he was right.)
you pay..DEAL with it!
I mean the engine will turn over fine but will not "start" unless you press the pedal to the floor and turn the key at the same time.
Backyard Mechanic wrote:

That usually means it's flooding on normal cranking, most likely either the ECT sensor or the FuelPressure Reg (FPR)
Either case should idle rough with fuel smell from exhaust once started.
--
Yeh, I'm a Krusty old Geezer, been flooded a few times in my youth, myself.

It would be nice if the original poster was patient enough to post this in only one NG.... as it stands, advice and symptom description are scattered amongst at least two NGs. Open the dictionary to "confusion" and we may very well see these threads.....