2001 Grand Marquis Drain Plug

I want to start doing my own maintenance on my 2001 Mercury Grand Marquis and am wondering if the drain plug requires a metric wrench. I know some of these cars are/were made in Canada and an old one I owned
sometime ago was manufactured in Mahwah, NJ. Any help you can give me would be appreciated.
George
What I usually do is try meteric and try inch ones until I get one to fit. Or, if you have calipers to measure it with, you can measure it and figure it out even better probably
Nic

George Nuetzel wrote:

why not just try an adjustable open end wrench( Cresent Wrench) thats what i use on all my cars... saves time trying to figure out which one i am doing and getting the wrench for it.....
Most likely your Grand Marquis drain plug requires a 16mm wrench. This is pretty close to the same as a 5/8 wrench, which should work just fine. The hard part on the 2001 Grand Marquis is the oil filter. It looks easy until you try to figure how to get it past the steering components at the front of the engine after you unscrew it from the filter adapter. Before you drain the oil and remove the old filter, move the steering wheel around until you can fit the new filter close to the old filter. You have to steer the wheels to either the right or the left to get the old filter out. I can't remeber which right now. If you don't pre-steer the car in the right direction, you may spend some time trying to figure out how to get the old filter out. If the car is on a lift or jack stands this is not big deal, becasue the wheels are easy to steer even without power steering. If the car is on the ground or on ramps, well steering without the engine running is not easy. I learned this the hard way.
Regards,
Ed White
George Nuetzel wrote:

"C. E. White" wrote:

LOL, now you tell me. I just went through hell with my 97 bird changing the filter.
Frank
On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 18:02:35 GMT, F.H.
-snipped complaints about vehicles with out-of-the-way oil filters-
I know the feeling.. my 93 Taurus' oil filter is a pain in the royal..... at the very bottom near the front, almost directly underneath the radiator, the car sits so low, you can't slide under it easily, and you sure cant manuever the oil filter into the proper position, and thats after you do some contortionism to get the old one out.
I dont have ramps or a lift, and if I jack the front end up, the oil drains onto some kind of skidplate/splashguard..
The last time I changed oil/filter, I put it up on blocks (jacked up one side with my 4ton hydraulic floor jack, put two blocks under it, repeated for other side) gave me close to a foot of work space under it.. that made it a LOT easier..
Chuck Burns
We have a 1990 honda accord...and of course it's really low too... we drive the front wheels up on a stack of 2x8's (like two high) on each tire. And on some of the other vehicles,I can't remember exactly which ones, we cut up old cereal boxes and such to make our own kind of splash gaurds.
wrote:

radiator,
drains
made

Now there's an interesting idea. Heh
I also used to own a little Mazda MX-6. You could quite easily access the oil filter from the engine compartment, and the drain plug on the oil pan was at the front of the oil pan at an angle, anyone with more than nubs for arms could just lie down in front of it and drain it pretty easily, if the tub you used to catch the oil was low enough.
Chuck
Probably a 16mm wrench and turn steering wheel to the right as far as you can and leave it there before draining oil to get the filter out.