2001 Grand Marquis Drain Plug

I want to start doing my own maintenance on my 2001 Mercury Grand Marquis and am wondering if the drain plug requires a metric wrench. I know some of these cars are/were made in Canada and an old one I owned sometime ago was manufactured in Mahwah, NJ. Any help you can give me would be appreciated.

George

Reply to
George Nuetzel

What I usually do is try meteric and try inch ones until I get one to fit. Or, if you have calipers to measure it with, you can measure it and figure it out even better probably

Reply to
Robotnik

why not just try an adjustable open end wrench( Cresent Wrench) thats what i use on all my cars... saves time trying to figure out which one i am doing and getting the wrench for it.....

Reply to
jim

Most likely your Grand Marquis drain plug requires a 16mm wrench. This is pretty close to the same as a 5/8 wrench, which should work just fine. The hard part on the 2001 Grand Marquis is the oil filter. It looks easy until you try to figure how to get it past the steering components at the front of the engine after you unscrew it from the filter adapter. Before you drain the oil and remove the old filter, move the steering wheel around until you can fit the new filter close to the old filter. You have to steer the wheels to either the right or the left to get the old filter out. I can't remeber which right now. If you don't pre-steer the car in the right direction, you may spend some time trying to figure out how to get the old filter out. If the car is on a lift or jack stands this is not big deal, becasue the wheels are easy to steer even without power steering. If the car is on the ground or on ramps, well steering without the engine running is not easy. I learned this the hard way.

Regards,

Ed White

George Nuetzel wrote:

Reply to
C. E. White

LOL, now you tell me. I just went through hell with my 97 bird changing the filter.

Frank

Reply to
F.H.

-snipped complaints about vehicles with out-of-the-way oil filters-

I know the feeling.. my 93 Taurus' oil filter is a pain in the royal..... at the very bottom near the front, almost directly underneath the radiator, the car sits so low, you can't slide under it easily, and you sure cant manuever the oil filter into the proper position, and thats after you do some contortionism to get the old one out.

I dont have ramps or a lift, and if I jack the front end up, the oil drains onto some kind of skidplate/splashguard..

The last time I changed oil/filter, I put it up on blocks (jacked up one side with my 4ton hydraulic floor jack, put two blocks under it, repeated for other side) gave me close to a foot of work space under it.. that made it a LOT easier..

Chuck Burns

Reply to
Zex0s

Reply to
D H A C

Reply to
Robotnik

Now there's an interesting idea. Heh

I also used to own a little Mazda MX-6. You could quite easily access the oil filter from the engine compartment, and the drain plug on the oil pan was at the front of the oil pan at an angle, anyone with more than nubs for arms could just lie down in front of it and drain it pretty easily, if the tub you used to catch the oil was low enough.

Chuck

Reply to
Zex0s