2001 Mercury Sable Check Engine (EGR)

I have a 2001 Sable V-6 (69,000 miles) with a check engine light and had a friend run a diagnostic on it. It came back with 2 codes PO401 & PO402,
which is an EGR flow code. My buddy said he checked and reset the codes and $65 and about 5 hrs. later the check engine light is back on. Any suggestions on this. Should I just go for a new valve ($$$$) or is there a sensor or vacum leak????? If this has a common fix let me know or should I take it back into the shop??? If it is an easy fix I'd like to try it myself!!!

Learn how to reset the codes yourself. You could have saved yourself that $65 if you knew how to do it. On one of my cars all you needed was a paperclip to close the circuit. Also depending you can also read the codes yourself manually via paperclip and counting the blinks of the check engine light as you go along the procedure to retrive the codes manually.
You are kidding, right..P0401 , and P0402 at the same time..??? Go back to your buddy or whatever he/she is and ask for the return of your $65, and go get yourself a manual. You can diagnose the cause with a digital multimeter and a vacuum pump.The most likely problem is a bad DPFE sensor. The cost run about $70 from the dealer. Removal and installation takes about 15 minutes with time to spare.