2001 Ranger motor oil

Threaded View

Can anyone tell me what kind of oil is recommended for the 2001 Ranger
V6? Is it 5-20W or 10-40W for "mid-range" climates and service?

A related question: where 5-20W is recommended, does anybody use
10-40W instead? If so, is there any noticeable difference?

Thanks for any comments.
--
To email me directly, remove CLUTTER.

Re: 2001 Ranger motor oil

Do you have a 3.0 or a 4.0 liter V6?  Do a google search for

   Ford TSB 02-1-9

I believe if you have the 3.0l V6 it's 5W-20.  Ford switched their
recommendation for nearly all their engines to that oil, but from a
little google searching I found that TSB recommends 5W-30 for the
4.0l V6.

You might be able to download an owner's manual from Ford's website:

http://www.ford.com/en/vehicles/owners/default.htm

If you don't have an owner's manual you can buy one from Helm, Inc.

http://www.helminc.com

2001 Ranger Owner Manual Package
Price: $22.00  In Stock
(English, Paper, 1L5J19A321AD)

FORD:

Article No.
02-1-9 ENGINE - ENGINE OIL - RECOMMENDED APPLICATIONS FOR SAE 5W-20 AND
SAE 5W-30 MOTOR OILS - GASOLINE AND FLEXIBLE FUEL VEHICLES ONLY

1992-2002 CROWN VICTORIA
1993-94 TEMPO
1993-97 THUNDERBIRD
1993-2002 ESCORT, MUSTANG, TAURUS
1995-2000 CONTOUR
1998-2002 ESCORT ZX2
2000-2002 FOCUS
1993-96 BRONCO
1993-97 AEROSTAR
1993-2002 E SERIES, F-150, RANGER
1995-2002 WINDSTAR
1997-99 F-250 LD
1997-2001 EXPLORER
1997-2002 EXPEDITION
1999-2002 SUPER DUTY F SERIES, SUPER DUTY F-53 STRIPPED CHAS.
2000-2002 EXCURSION
2001-2002 ESCAPE
LINCOLN: 1991-2002 TOWN CAR
1993-98 MARK VIII
1993-2002 CONTINENTAL
2000-2002 LS
1998-2002 NAVIGATOR
MERCURY: 1992-2002 GRAND MARQUIS
1993-94 TOPAZ
1993-97 COUGAR
1993-99 TRACER
1993-2002 SABLE
1995-2000 MYSTIQUE
1999-2002 COUGAR
1997-2001 MOUNTAINEER

This article is being republished in its entirety to update the vehicle
models, engines and years affected.

NOTE: PLEASE REFER TO THE VEHICLE APPLICATION LIST LATER IN THIS TSB
FOR A COMPLETE LIST OF VEHICLES AFFECTED BY THIS TSB.

ISSUE: Ford Motor Company now recommends SAE 5W-20 viscosity grade for
servicing most gasoline and flexible fueled vehicles.

ACTION: All 2001 and 2002 vehicles where SAE 5W-20 is specified should be
serviced at the recommended oil change intervals using SAE 5W-20. This oil
is an improved formulation to improve fuel economy. Testing has validated
this viscosity grade can be used in many previous model year vehicles. It
is recommended ALL vehicles on the following Vehicle Application Listing
be service with SAE 5W-20.

All 2001-2002 vehicles other than those listed in the "Exception 2001
Vehicles" or "Exception 2002 Vehicles" chart are being filled with SAE
5W-20 motor oil at the factory and should also be serviced with SAE
5W-20 oil.

Vehicle Application Listing Approved For SAE 5W-20 Motor Oil
1993-1996 1.9L Escort/Tracer
1995-2000 2.0L Zetec Contour/Mystique
1999-2002 2.0L Cougar
1997-2002 2.0L Escort/Tracer
1998-2002 2.0L Escort ZX2
2000-2002 2.0L Focus
2001-2002 2.0L Escape
1993-1997 2.3L Ranger
1993-1994 2.3L Mustang
1993-1994 2.3L Tempo/Topaz
1998-2001 2.5L Ranger
1995-2000 2.5L Contour/Mystique
1999-2002 2.5L Cougar
2001-2002 3.0L 4V Escape
1996-2001 3.0L 4V Taurus/Sable
1993-2002 3.0L (Vulcan) Aerostar/Ranger, Taurus/Sable (Flexible Fuel and Gas)
1995-2000 3.0L (Vulcan) Windstar
1993-1994 3.0L (Vulcan) Tempo/Topaz
2000-2002 3.0L 4V Lincoln LS
1995-2002 3.8L Windstar
1993-1997 3.8L Taurus/Sable, Thunderbird/Cougar, Continental
1994-2002 3.8L Mustang
2002-2002 3.9L 4V Lincoln LS
1997-2002 4.2L (SPI) F-150 (under 8500 GVW only), E-Series
1996-2002 4.6L 2V Mustang
1992-2002 4.6L Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis
1991-2002 4.6L Town Car
1994-1997 4.6L 2V Thunderbird/Cougar
1996-2002 4.6L 4V Mustang Cobra
1995-2002 4.6L 4V Continental
1993-1998 4.6L 4V Mark VIII
1997-2002 4.6L 2V Triton F-150/250 (under 8500 GVW only), E-Series, Expedition
1993-1999 4.9L E-Series, F-Series
1993-1995 5.0L Mustang/Mustang Cobra
1993-1993 5.0L Thunderbird/Cougar
1997-2001 5.0L Explorer/Mountaineer
1993-1996 5.0L E-Series, F-Series, Bronco

2000-2002 5.4L Excursion
1998-2002 5.4L 2V/4V Navigator
1997-2002 5.4L 2V F-150/250 (under 8500 GVW only), Expedition, E-Series, E-350
Chassis/RV/Cutaway
1993-1997 5.8L F-Series, Bronco
1993-1996 5.8L E-Series
2000-2002 6.8L Excursion
1997-2002 6.8L E-Series, E-350 Chassis/RV/Cutaway
1999-2002 6.8L Super Duty F-Series 250 HD/350/450/550 Motorhome
1993-1998 7.5L All Vehicles
NOTE: FOR 1993 THROUGH 1998 MODEL YEAR FFV USE XO-10W30-FFV.

NOTE: THE "EXCEPTION 2001-2002 VEHICLES" SHOULD BE SERVICED WITH SAE
5W-30 MOTOR OIL.

Exception 2001 Vehicles

Engine Vehicle
3.3L Villager
3.9L Lincoln LS
4.0L Ranger, Explorer/Mountaineer, Explorer Sport, and Explorer Sport Trac

Exception 2002 Vehicles

Engine Vehicle
2.0L HP Zetec SVT Focus
3.3L Villager
4.0L Ranger, Explorer/Mountaineer, Explorer Sport, and Explorer Sport Trac

NOTE: IF VEHICLE IS NOT LISTED IN THIS APPLICATION, SAE 5W-30 OIL IS
RECOMMENDED. REFER TO TSB 99-8-16.

Re: 2001 Ranger motor oil

My 02 ranger 3.0L calls for 5-20.  its stamped right on the fill cap.

Also, I would like to add how much I hate rangers, and I wouldn't wish
this piece of junk on my worst enemy.

Re: 2001 Ranger motor oil

I once owned a 1993 Ranger, and it was one of best vehicles I have ever
owned(have owned about 20 vehicles).

Re: 2001 Ranger motor oil

Re Re: 2001 Ranger motor oil:

Thanks Mark. I was able to d/l the manual from the above.

BTW, I'm doing research for my dad who is thinking of buying a used
Ranger so I had neither the vehicle nor the manual to check, as others
suggested.
--
To email me directly, remove CLUTTER.

Re: 2001 Ranger motor oil

Have a look at that PDF manual before you get too far... the only one I
was able to download was for an *electric* Ranger, believe it or not.

Re: 2001 Ranger motor oil

I found the owner's manual PDF here

http://www.genuineservice.com/genuineservice/en/GB?page=E4

Select the year, model, etc and you'll see the list of manuals
available in PDF.
--
To email me directly, remove CLUTTER.

Re: 2001 Ranger motor oil

Hi,
I am driving my third Ranger, an '03.  It took a dumb 19 year old kid to
kill the 93, 175,000 miles couldn't do it.
The 4 cyls made after 01 got better mileage and had much more power
than the old pinto 4 cyl.
My V6 3.0 with an auto gets 20 mpg highway and maybe 15 city,
this is the big complaint about them.

I THINK the reason Ford recomends the 5-20 is to get another
0.1 mpg for the fleet or such.  They tell you tolerances are tighter
on the motors but after 50 k miles any small measure of "tighter"
should be gone, I am not going to run 5-20 oil in Vegas heat,
the oil would be like sewing machine oil.

Re: 2001 Ranger motor oil

Today's engines are designed with better tolerances than before. The oils
recommended by Ford are recommended for very good reasons. They don't do
them on a whim.

I am sure that people use 10-40W instead of 5-20W. However, they get more
engine wear and lower fuel milage.

If you go to Ford's website, you can search for glove box manual or owner
manual to find a page that will let you download the manual. You can find
the answer (5W-30) there. Or, you can just go to your glove box and find the
owner's manual there.

Jeff

Re: 2001 Ranger motor oil

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 07:19:51 -0500, Vic Dura

Ford spec is 5W-20, but I think a -20 is too thin for engine
protection.  Get a good 5W-30 synthetic oil.  I would suggest Amsoil
ASL 5W-30 or HDD 5W-30.

http://www.wisynoil.com

Re: 2001 Ranger motor oil

Too thin? Do you have data that suggests that today's 5W-20 doesn't protect
as well as 5W-30?

Jeff

Re: 2001 Ranger motor oil

There is plenty of data out there.

Re: 2001 Ranger motor oil

Really?

Show us some.

Jeff

Re: 2001 Ranger motor oil

Why not look for yourself?

Re: 2001 Ranger motor oil

You made a claim. It is up to you to back it, not I.

jeff

Re: 2001 Ranger motor oil

If I post links, people say it's bias information, so I don't play
that game.

Re: 2001 Ranger motor oil

(...)

Then you lose this one. You can't or won't back your claim.

Jeff

Re: 2001 Ranger motor oil

Its obvious to anyone that a thicker oil protects better than a
thinner one.  Ford uses 5w20 so it can meet CAFE standards.

Re: 2001 Ranger motor oil

So why not just go straight for the 90W Gear Oil......or at Least 50W.

5W30 is probably not a problem. 15W-40 probably is not a problem in warm
climates. On the other hand, I mostly ran 5W20 in my 2003 Expedition as long
as I owned it - 93,000 miles. No problems as long as I owned it. Never used
any oil, ran great. I can see Ford recommending 5W20 for new cars to improve
CAFE numbers, but why issue a TSB for certain old cars recommending its use
there as well? The EPA is not going to retest 2000 model year cars and give
Ford credit for better gas mileage in those vehicles. BTW, I did notice that
my 2006 Mustang with the 4.0L V-6 specifies 5W30 Oil, so Ford is not blindly
recommending 5W20 for all applications.

Ed

Re: 2001 Ranger motor oil

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 09:38:52 -0400, "C. E. White"

Ed,

Can you point me to the TSB, thats a new one to me.

Site Timeline