2001 Ranger motor oil

Page 3 of 3

Well... I think I'll cut around the Spamsoil crap and those who think w20 must be 'better protection' than w30 because Ford says so.
here's the facts, as I see it:
NOBODY uses 10w40 anymore in a decent gasoline engine if they have been paying attention.
Like most say, Ford probably went to 20 for mileage purposes, making it a semi-syn to make up the difference. 20 is good enough, after all if a typical engine lasts twice or more the warranty, and with a semi-syn 20 should easily make that...
So your choices would be 5w20, 5w30 or 10w30. A few years ago, most pros went for the least possible "spread' so if the 'cold start temp' were typically 32 or above, 10w30.
Now if it were MY truck, I'd use Mobil 1 10w30 in summer and 5 or 0 w30 in the winter.
I've seen the results of Mobil 1 in two engines over 100,000 miles of MY use and 185 to 200 thousand total...pristine inside!
My prejudices AGAINST types/brands are: Dont use oils that are mainly marketing oriented.. which rules out Amsoil, and the two with Q or Z in the names.
I like Valvoline, for a Dino oil
you pay..DEAL with it!

Do you have any data, other than anecdote, to back you up?
Any studies that suggest that you would be better off with 5w20 or 5w30?
Your logic sounds good, except, that if Ford went with the a particular oil for fuel economy, increased fuel economy and probably descreased friction sound like good reasons to go with thier choice.
I've heard your arguement before (even the service manager at the dealer I bought my Ford offered the same advice), but that doesn't mean that it is correct.
Jeff

What about 'probably.. 'if it were my..' and 'I've seen.. in MY use' is it you dont understand?
Of course it's anecdotal... but even I wouldnt be putting that on here if there wasnt a concensus on it in the past... that's what this NG is for.
You think I want to be made a fool of by someone pointing out the opposite is true? That happens but I prefer it to be few and a far time between.. and by Warman or someone else who cares that I get it right.
I've read Doctor oil or whatever he calls himself and numerous other sites... some good points, some miss the point, in my opinion.
Tell you what... if my experience, and reading, on brand usage over 40 years isnt enough, why not do the opposite?
Use nothing but Pennzoil, Fram Oil Filters and get your gas at a mom'n'pop Citgo!
And dont forget to put them Bosch Plats in all your Fords
you pay..DEAL with it!