2001 supercrewcab

I have a 2001 ford supercrew cab and for the last year it has started skipping and jumping while running at 35 to 45 mph or while going up hill slow but at 50 mph on up it runs fine. and sitting at an idle it dont skip a bit will someone please give me some ideas to what might be wrong

Reply to
greg

Which engine?

Try turning off the overdrive and see if the symptoms change.

Persoanly, I would clean the throttle body and the MAF. Might not help, but probably won't hurt. I'd also change the fuel filter (but this is probably not related).

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

now when iam driving in town i do drive with the overdrive off and it does do better someone told me that it might be the tork converter but it seems like something electrical what do you think

Reply to
greg

Misfire ????????

"cleaned" your engine (big nono)

Check engine lite on ?????

Reply to
johanb

Whadaya mean "big nono!?. If you can't keep it clean, who's to say it'll run in the rain?

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

Because a rain is something different then a high pressure washer

Dude, it's just my opinion, go soak your engine, its your car

Reply to
johanb

I would suggest that you lift the hood and look at the engine after you have driven any distance in a hard rain, if that is what you believe. Better yet lift the hood after driving in a hard snow storm and look at all the snow packed around the engine. ;)

mike hunt

johanb wrote:

Reply to
MajorDomo

So your saying a couple of cubic feet of drift snow that , in melted state is maybe a quart of water is the same as water out of a pressure washer @

1500 psi ?????????????

Like I said, its you car , go for it, I'll pass.

I am sure a lot of seals on the sensor connectors doesn't hold out water @1500 psi or more

And I suggest to anyone that doesn't know how to replace the boots on there coilpacks on there F150 and clean out there sparkplugholes not to do it .

If your car starts to run on 6 or 7 cylinder during a rainstorm its early enough to have it checked out.

Reply to
johanb

Not really. A heavy rain blowing under the hood is quickly turned to steam which will penetrate virtually everything under the hood in just a few minutes.

I have been keeping them clean for over 45 years now. The last 25 or so, I have used a 1700 psi washer which was replaced by a 3000psi unit about 10 years ago. I have never lost a sensor to moisture with the exception of a few MLP sensors on some Fords which were upgraded by Ford for this reason - it had nothing to do with washing - just everyday driving in the elements. I have seen many secondary voltage leaks as a result of dirty connectors and boots. I find that excess grease, oil and debris tends to collect more moisture resulting in problems than a periodic cleaning with a pressure washer. Have spent most of my life in a warm climate and investigated many vehicle fires for insurance companies, I have seen too many fires as a result of oil and grease caked engines resulting from small leaks that went unnoticed on the filthy engines. A clean engine is much easier to maintain and seems to run a bit cooler in hot weather. The trick is to dry the engine by warming it until it is dry. Do not wash it and leave it to air dry over the weekend or you may have problems.

All of that being said, you will find that most well maintained fleets routinely wash down the engines with a pressure washer. Many of them use a hot water pressure washer. A few still use steam cleamers for the hard cases especially when repairs are being made. The OTR Diesels also use much higher control voltages than in passenger cars and light trucks which makes them much more likely to experiance problems from dirty connections. Many fleets expect these vehicles to operate relliably in excess of

1,000,000 miles. They do nothing that will increase cost or jeopardize reliability.

Lastly, a lot of technicians don't care to work on an engine that is excessively grubby unless allowed to clean it up first. I don't like getting my own hands any dirtier than necessary when it is easily cleaned. It is just plain easier to maintain and repair. There is no reason not to keep it clean.

Regards Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

I guess we will never agree on this, sure you and I can clean our engine, let it dry and fix it when it has a misfire and don't spray to much on the obvious places. But most of the people here cant find there airfilter if there life was depending on it, so I keep with my statement, don't clean your engine

(Ofcourse I don't mind the 2.8 hrs labor for replacing plugs and boots on there F150 during our monsoon and spring rainstorms or when they hosed the engine down when washing there car)

Reply to
johanb