2001 Taurus- any problem areas?

I just bought a low mileage 2001 Taurus with the 3.0L pushrod engine (Vulcan). My 1997 Taurus blew the engine due to the "brown coolant" problem, which I didn't know about until it was too late.
Anyone know if there are problem areas with the 2001 Taurus other than the front springs in states that use road salt? -Paul
snipped-for-privacy@egine.com wrote:

DPFE Sensor, that's the exhaust backpressure differential sensor used in the EGR system. I think the recall covered your year but you probably won't qualify now. It's only about $30 at the dealer and takes five minutes to replace. If your engine light comes on at the code is P0401 or P0402 most likely bad DPFE. Not a problem in my book.
If they do the recall on your coil springs and afterwards you hear a knocking in your front end afterwards they probably did not tighten the stabilizer links sufficiently.
That's all I got. Good luck.

Thanks for the info. I'm in California, no road salt, so the springs should be OK. Will monitor the DPFE sensor issue. -Paul
snipped-for-privacy@egine.com says...

I'm not certain if it covers yours, but there have been several recalls involving the brake light switch, which is mounted on the brake pedal. Grease or oil sometimes can leak in and cause the contacts to overheat. That melts the insides and make it either stay on or off all the time. Also, there are recalls on the connector as it's easily damaged. It sits just above where you put your foot, and I assume some people are smashing it by accident.
says...

My 2000 Taurus I had until 55k miles. I had to replace the BOO switch twice before the recall switch finally came out. Also, someone else mentioned DPFE. I had to replace it too.
I found a broken coil spring on the front doing a routine tire rotation, and I barely ever had the car in salt.
Lastly, the AX4N tranny was replaced by Ford under warranty at 30k.
Not a great piece of engineering, that Taurus...
CJB
says...

My switch has also been replaced twice (I carry a spare, now), and the DPFE was also replaced.