2001 Taurus Fuel Pump replacement and STILL no Pressure?

My son's car is a 2001 Taurus with 32k miles... my wifes old car.

The kid got into a little trouble over the summer and the car (and he) were grounded for nearly two months. Just recently, he tried to start the car and had crank/no start condition.

After a little investigation I found a bad fuel pump. ( no run noise at key-on). People at NAPA told me it's not good on these cars to leave them sit for long periods with less than 1/4 tank of fuel.

Purchased and installed a new pump today, Relay clicks and you can hear the pump running for about 5 seconds. There is no pressure on the fuel rail and no start.

Unhooked (again) both lines from the tank to the fuel filter and jumped the relay to run the pump. No pressure on either line....

The tank still has something less than 1/4 tank of fuel. I saw somewhere Ford recommends at least 10 gallons in the tank for a new pump... is this the problem or did I screw something else up?

Any help would be appreciated....

Jake

Reply to
Jake

Assuming you looked at the tubing between the pump and the pickup.

Did you change fuel filter?

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic