2001 Taurus Heat

I have a 2001 Ford Taurus SE with 57,000 miles on it. The heating system works fine, except for the temperature of the heat coming out of the vents; it is only warm. If I turn the temperature setting down, the
heat gets cooler and so forth. Usually, my heat is very hot, but it has only been warm for the past few days. The temperature gauge is in the middle range once the engine is warmed up. The coolant was tested the other day when I got my oil change and tested good. Coolant level is fine also, however the coolant is brown. Is there something that I can do myself to fix this problem?? Thanks.
J1mbo01 wrote:

Your coolant should be green, how did it "test good" if it was brown? Who tested it and what were they using, a calibrated finger guage?
Figure out why your coolant is brown. Fix that, drain/flush brown coolant, and refill with a correct 50/50 coolant mix and check your heat again. You should see some improvement.

When coolant is tested, certain things are tested, like freezing point and acidity. Apparently, the amount of iron oxide in the coolant is not tested.
Jeff
J1mbo01 wrote:

It's probably because your water pump looks like this:
http://home.sc.rr.com/estaab/image002.jpg
when it should look like this:
http://home.sc.rr.com/estaab/image001.jpg
I thought they had this problem licked by 2001, but your car may have had another issue resulting in the water pump failure.
Rob