2001 Taurus wants to stall

I have a 2001 Taurus and it acts like it is about to stall when I?m stopped or it?s idling. A little gas and it goes. Nothing else is wrong with the car as far as I know aside from some light maintenance issues. I know it is due for LOF and new air filter.

Reply to
outlaw

Probably the IAC (idle air control) has gotten weak. It could also be the throttle positioning sensor. In either case it's not a particularly expensive repair.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

You might try cleaning it out. I have had my throttle body and IAC get gunked up to where it caused me noticable trouble twice on my 2003 Taurus. There are two metric bolts that hold it to the side of the throttle body; emove these and the electrical connector on the side. Hose off the plunger and passages with a can of throttle body cleaner. While doing this hold it with the solenoid up so you don't get too much cleaner inside it. While you are in there you should also clean off the throttle plates with the same cleaner. Loosening the hose clamps on the intake duct and also unclamping it from the air filter box will allow the duct to pull away from the throttle body so you can see the plates.

Replace that airfilter ASAP as that is what allowed the junk to collect and cause trouble.

Before I did this I had trouble with cold starts as the IAC wouldn't open enough to bring on high idle. I also had trouble with the throttle sticking closed in the cold. Now both problems are gone with about five minutes of work and a can of throttle body cleaner.

Calvin

Reply to
Calvin