2001 TC Sig: Canadian Car??

Hello - I am looking to purchase a 2001 TC Sig from a US dealer. I am a US resident. Carfax reports the first registration and owner as being in Quebec, Canada in June 2001. The vehicle was subsequently imported into the US in Feb 2002 (15k miles), and "Vehicle declared to meet US highway safety specifications - Bond released" is shown in March 2002.

After that, it shows being registered as a "private vehicle" in a northern US state (April 2002), and then being traded to the current dealer that has it now (Dec 2003 - 50081 miles - darn! just over the CPO mileage limit). Can't tell if the April 02 registration is to the person that may have imported it into the US, or if it was traded/sold/whatever once immediately inside the US. The dealer says the car has had one US owner (that traded it to them for a new car in Dec 03) but until I actually visit this dealer (across the state line) to see whatever paperwork they have, I won't know.

To make this more challenging, this northern US state keeps the same title number across subsequent owners, so Carfax actually reports *4* owners once in the US ("Title or registration issued - new owner reported"). However, sweet talking a lady on the phone at the state DMV, she tells me that those weren't in fact multiple owners, just re-registrations. She shows no control numbers or whatever terminology that state uses to indicate a change of ownership. Seems odd. Can dealers with the right connections "erase" history in public records?

The VIN is 1LNHM82W91Yxxxxxx. That should tell me it is a "US" car (mfd in Wixom??), but my concern is with the exportation to Canada. Is the vehicle likely to have a KPH or MPH main analog speedo legend (with the opposite on the smaller inner numbers)? And would the digital odo register the mileage in KM or Miles (or would the US/Metric setting in the dash computer toggle that back and forth)?

I don't want to be in a situation where the mileage may not be accurate if it needed to have the switch/conversion done in the computer manually somehow.

Finally, should I be concerned with the possibility of an aftermarket dash panel having been installed due to being a "Canadian" car? I remember seeing a post here detailing a problem with 2001 TC daytime running lights on a previously Canadian car, and that it might have had a dash replacement. Just wondering if that is something to look at and how would I tell.

Any other issues I should be looking at for a previously "Canadian" car now in the US? Other than the normal demo drive/independent mechanic inspection thing with used cars. They are asking US$18995 (50081 miles - assumed).

Thanks in advance for anyone's advice.

Reply to
Lincoln

Town Cars in the Signature series since about 1995 have had digital displays. You push a button and everything (temperature display, instrument cluster, speed numbers, gas mileage computations, -- every number in the car except for the clock) turns to metric. Another push and everything turns back to miles, etc. The car always knows everything in both kinds of measurements, so there is absolutely no reason for any modifications to the circuitry or any "dash replacement". The running lights modification you heard about has nothing to do with the items you're worried about.

Our '97 Town car is great on trips between the northern U.S. and Canada. Just a push of the button each time you cross the border and voila! you are running like a native...

Good luck, Harry

Reply to
Harry Smith