2001 Windstar Side Door Lock

Anybody run into this one? The side door on my '01 Windstar won't unlock. It's electric, checked the child proof switch and switch on the overhead console, when I use the electric switch to unlock it will make an attempt to
push the manual lock peg up but not all the way up. I've tried to manually pull the lock up but it just won't budge, it's no doubt a mechanical problem. Is it worth taking the locking mechanism and trying to fix it my self or should I just take it to a dealer for a new one. I thought maybe this might be a re-occuring problem on these doors. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
I've had this problem intermittently, it never stay long. Generally I get it resolved by locking and unlocking the doors using the switch on the drivers door panel. If my problem were to presists I would attempt to remove the side door panel and spray either some liquide graphite or lightweight lub (WD-40) on the machanics.

I'll try that as I suspect it needs some lube after getting into the door mechanism. I was able to unlock the door and use the electric switch, what the door now fails to do is shut as the rear latch mechanism fails to latch unless I slam it while the door is closing, if I don't do this it will keep re-opening, just another problem.
Thanks for the reply!