2002 3.0 Air Fliter and performance

Does anyone know if any of the non oem air filter elements actaully help in performance and mpg? I have seen the K&N filters and I have seen the round elements with adapters to replace factory air box.
Also is there any mods to increase the mpg?

The biggest mod to increase fuel economy is to change your driving style. If you have a modern fuel injected vehicle, changing the air cleaner is not going to change your fuel economy by a detectable amount. Compared to the air restriction imposed by the throttle plate, the air filter is trivial.
The usual suggestions for improving fuel economy:
- make sure your tires are properly inflated (vehicle manufacturer's recommendation plus a little if you don't go overboard) - remove any non-essential items from the vehicle (extra weight = extra fuel required) - drive like your car doesn't have any brakes - (everytime you use the brakes you waste energy) - keep you maximum highway speed down to the lowest "safe" level (don't drive so slow you become a moving road hazard) - accelerate at reasonably gentle rates (again, don't become a moving road block) - make sure your car is in a good state of tune
Ed
"" wrote:
> > > Does anyone know if any of the non oem air filter elements > actaully > > help in performance and mpg? I have seen the K&N filters and > I have > > seen the round elements with adapters to replace factory air > box. > > Also is there any mods to increase the mpg? > > The biggest mod to increase fuel economy is to change your > driving style. If > you have a modern fuel injected vehicle, changing the air > cleaner is not > going to change your fuel economy by a detectable amount. > Compared to the > air restriction imposed by the throttle plate, the air filter > is trivial. > > The usual suggestions for improving fuel economy: > > - make sure your tires are properly inflated (vehicle > manufacturer's > recommendation plus a little if you don't go overboard) > - remove any non-essential items from the vehicle (extra > weight = extra fuel > required) > - drive like your car doesn't have any brakes - (everytime > you use the > brakes you waste energy) > - keep you maximum highway speed down to the lowest "safe" > level (don't > drive so slow you become a moving road hazard) > - accelerate at reasonably gentle rates (again, don't become a > moving road > block) > - make sure your car is in a good state of tune > > Ed
Id be careful recomending over-inflation. Thats usually like handing a firework to a kid and saying not to blow yourself up. But people have a hard enough time figureing out what kind of gas to put in there car, or when to change the oil, let alone doing anything that requires judgment.