2002 Ford Escape ABS Light

I have a 2002 ford escape about 50,000 miles and the ABS light has begin to come on. Sometimes its off and sometimes its on. any idea what to look
for?
--
Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2 /

We have an '02 Escape as well. Ours is an XLS 2/FWD and apparently it doesnt have ABS. Is yours a XLT/4WD? R
According to the owner's manual:
The ABS warning lamp in the instrument cluster momentarily illuminates
when the ignition is turned to the RUN position. If the light does not
illuminate momentarily at start up, remains on or continues to flash, the
ABS needs to be serviced.
With the ABS light on, the anti-lock brake system is disabled and normal
braking is still effective unless the brake warning light also remains
illuminated with parking brake released. (If your brake warning lamp illuminates, have your vehicle
serviced immediately.)
I think I'd have the ABS system checked. If it stays on, then goes off, you've probably got a component going bad, or maybe just a loose wire somewhere. It's usually cheaper to catch these things early. SC Tom