2002 Ford Escort question

Hello everyone,.....I have a 2002 Ford Escort in which I plan changing out the transmission fluid. Does anyone here know which type of fluid this vehicle takes?
Also on the topic of lubricants,..does this vehicle have to "have" 5w-20 engine oil? Couldnt I use oil suitable to my area's wheather? (U.S. Virginia) such as 10w-30 or 10w-40? Appreciate any advice.
Ed

According to the manual found here https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/owners_manuals/default.asp it uses Mercon. And the discussions on what oil to use are pretty much endless.
SC Tom
use what oil weight ford reccomends for your engine. you get it to thick ,youll have problems. lucas