2002 Ford Escort question

Hello everyone,.....I have a 2002 Ford Escort in which I plan changing out the transmission fluid. Does anyone here know which type of fluid this vehicle takes? Also on the topic of lubricants,..does this vehicle have to "have"

5w-20 engine oil? Couldnt I use oil suitable to my area's wheather? (U.S. Virginia) such as 10w-30 or 10w-40? Appreciate any advice.

Ed

Reply to
E.T.

According to the manual found here

it usesMercon. And the discussions on what oil to use are pretty much endless.

SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom

use what oil weight ford reccomends for your engine. you get it to thick ,youll have problems. lucas

ds549