2002 Ford Escort ZX2 timing belt broke

My daughter's 2002 Escort's timing belt broke this morning. The mechanic said that always, some valves get bent and always pistons get cracked. 102000 miles on the 4 cylinder, I do not buy his "always bent, always broke" diagnosis..

I understand bent valves and broken pistons are a possibility, I would appreciate anyone's past experience and opinion on this issue. I guess a compression test and leakdown is impossible with a broken timing belt, unless the mechanic hand cranked the camshaft and the crank shaft seperately.

A tear down will tell the truth.

thanx in advance

Frank

Reply to
Frank from Deeeetroit

Take this chart with a grain of salt. Sometimes a non-interference engine will have interference. (Carbon buildup, worn parts, etc.)

Kruse

Reply to
Philip5malin

According to the Gates website, the DOHC engine is NOT an interference engine.

Are you sure of the engine in the vehicle?

Are you sure of your mechanic?

I agree. It is not an interferance engine. That is why my Escort did not have any problem with valve and rod. I checked out my manual last time when that happen. Some people assume every engine is a Honda engine. Some people have a way of diagnostic themselves. But no matter what happen, when they tear apart engine. They will take out the good rod, bent it in the shop manually themselves, then show you it is bend.

******************************
Reply to
Philip5malin

Yes, I do trust this mechanic, but this web-site says this is an interference engine;

Frank from Deeeetroit

Assuming it is, indeed, a dreaded "interference" motor, might it be possible to :

1.) remove cam cover. 2.) rotate cam until valves on cyl 1 are both closed. 3.) rotate crank to TDC for compression and leak down test on cyl 1. 4.) repeat 1.) - 3.) for cyl's 2-4.

????

Puddin' Man

to Frank from Deetroit, I looked at your site, it did not say it is interference engine. It says it is likely not an interference engine. " Fortunately for many Ford owners, there is enough clearance between the valves and the pistons so no harm will come to the engine if the belt snaps. But on older Escorts (up to 1985) with 1.6L engines as well as 1989 and up Probes with 2.0L or 2.2L four cylinder engines, a timing belt failure will usually bend a bunch of valves. " So your Escort is 2002, newer than 1985, not older than 1985. Even that is not always true, I worked on a 1984 Escort and it is not an interf engine. At this time, you just have to wait for your entrusted mechanic answer. Again, a logical way is to do leak down test first. You can even do leak down test without taking off cam cover, just rotate cam

45 degree > >
Reply to
Philip5malin

Ito: Frank from Deeeetroit. Two engines are shown as possibles for that Escort, in the USA at least.

4-116, 1.9 litre, Vin J SOHC, or 4-109, 1.8 litre, V> >
Reply to
Philip5malin

The engine is a DOHC, I believe it is a 2.o liter for model year 2002.

Should have the car back tomorrow or Tuesday. I will post the results of the repairs.

Thanx to all for your research and replies. I will hoist a really cold bottle of beer, later this afternoon, in thanx to all who replied.

Cheers

Frank

Frank

Reply to
Frank from Deeeetroit

So Frank, what was the outcome?

Reply to
krygods

"alwats bent" AND "always broke" is not true.

I've seen them drop the belt on crank (starting) and do no damage at all. I've also seen them drop a belt on the higway and bend a handfull of valves and totally destroy the engine (parts jumping between cyls) The worst situation is when it just looses a few teeth, and the belt starts slipping around, letting the cams keep turning but way out of time.

With that said, if it dropped the belt on the road the chances of it NOT having at least one or 2 bent valves are VERY slim.

Reply to
clare