2002 Ford Excort ZX2 stuck in park

My daughter's 2002 Escort ZX2's transmission is stuck in park. I haven't looked at the car yet, will look at it later this evening
My first thought is a problem with the linkage and brake peddle safety
switch.
Any ideas?
Frank from Deeetroit wrote:

Besides the linkage and the brake pedal switch, there is a selenoid that releases the transmissions shifter. That could be bad too. And don't forget the wiring.
Jeff

Jeff,
The linkage looks good, connected at the trnas, the shifter feels locked at the console. I will look at the brake pedal switch next. Is the solenoid located in the console?
Thanx for your advice.
Frank
Frank from Deeetroit wrote:

with this problem, especially at boat ramps where the water shorted the brake circuit and they couldn't shift into drive to pull the trailer out.

The brake lights are functioning, we overrode the lock-out via the procedure in the owner's manual. When the weather brakes around here, I am going to troubleshoot the switch and solenoid.
Thanx for all the advice .
wrote: circuit and they couldn't shift into drive to pull the trailer out.

Since the brake lights are working, suspect the solenoiud on the shifter. One thing I used to see a lot is a sticky solenoid or linkage sue to soda/coffee spills into the shifter. The sugary liquid makes a sticky coating on the mechanism. Solvents won't touch it, soap and hot water will clean it right off..