2002 Ford Taurus leak

My car had been parked for a few days and I started it and pulled out of the driveway and spotted a puddle in my driveway. Can't tell if it's transmission fluid or power steering fluid. All levels are fine and it's not leaking now. The transmission guy has it and basically came to the same conclusion. He wiped it off and drove it and said that the transmission seems fine. Said that it was wet looking where the dip stick goes in to check the transmission fluid. Said that there were a couple of drops around the "main control assembly" for the rack n pinion. Any thoughts on what would cause my car to belch up that much fluid and then stop?.....Beth

Reply to
jddrive

jddrive

Kind of hard to tell from here.

Unless you can get underneath it and look yourself, since the guy at the shop doesn't seem to be of any help, you could just drive it until something breaks. You could also take it to a Ford dealer, they'll be sure to find something wrong with it.

Reply to
sleepdog

Thanks for your response. They checked it again after it got hotter (Texas) and are telling me it is a the hose from the power steering to the rack n pinion. Called the garage they recommended and it would appear that there are two hoses that make that trip. One is a high pressure hose though. Could be why it dumped the fluid and then stopped. $265.00 to fix that hose and cheaper for the other. :-(

Reply to
jddrive

Its not uncommon on a taurus to have a small leak in the high pressure hose section by the rack. Get some degreaser and spray the area down clean. Then when the area is clean and dried, start the car and have someone turn the wheel slightly left to right and put a load on the system. You will probably see the hoses weep when you do this.

bob

Reply to
Bob Urz