2002 Mustang, intermitten wiper problem

My mother owns a 2002 Mustang convertible, 3.8L, close to 75,000 kms. She took it to a local mechanic for the yearly inspection and they found only
one problem, but put a sticker on the car nonetheless. The problem, the wipers do not work when set on any intermitten setting on the MF switch. If you select either Hi or Low speed, or spray the washer fluid, they work fine. The mechanic told her that the wiper motor needed replacement, which I disagree with, because of the fact that the wipers still work on the hi and low settings. That and I believe that if the motor were to fail, it would not slowly die, it would more than likely all of a sudden just stop working. I listened to the motor myself and watched the wipers move back and forth, it seems as though it is still working fine. No funny sounds or no erratic wiper movement.
I have not worked on this particular car myself but I'm sure that whichever part is at fault, I should be able to replace it myself. Possibly someone has run into the same problem before and any insight would be greatly appreciated. There may be another electrical part that I'm overlooking and would rather be certain before she orders any replacement parts.
Thanks Sharky
The 'switching' is part of the motor.
mike

Wipers are controlled by a GEM (generic electronic module)... I would run away from the mechanic as fast as my old man legs could carry me and find a reputable shop.
For any inspections I have ever done, the wipers and washer need to work.... there is no mention of interval operation....

Well Jim, the reason I question the mechanic is the same reason I questioned the same shop after they did front brake work on my '98 Malibu, which are well known for front brake problems. After only 2 months, one of the calipers started seizing up and I could not understand how this had not been detected when the original work was done. I was also really puzzled as to why they couldn't tell me what condition the opposite caliper was in, seeing as how I didn't want it sticking as well. Needless to say, I haven't taken my car back to that shop. At one time, this used to be a reputable shop. But now that most of his mechanics are young "kids" that are half my age, I just don't trust them anymore.
With that aside, I'm not sure what you mean when you say interval operation. If you mean, do they wipe, stop for a set time and then wipe again, then yes, but only on the Hi or Low speeds. The wipers will not function at all on any of the intermittent settings, I tried this yesterday. I waited up to a minute on the fastest setting before it clicks to Low and there was no wiper movement at all. I also tried all of the intermittent settings in between (probably about 10 in total), nothing. I agree, any inspection I did as an Apprentice (more than 11 years ago), the wipers and the sprayer had to be working as part of the MVI.
So my question now, is the GEM part of the wiper motor assembly, as Mike suggested, or is this a small module located somewhere else? Mom has already priced up a new wiper motor @ $110 from the dealer, and she was going to call around for prices for the MF switch on the steering column, which I suspected. But, as I admitted earlier, my wrenching experience with cars newer than 2000 is limited, so I would rather ask someone more knowledgable than I.
Suggestions are still welcome, and thanks for the replies. Sharky
I'm even more confused now.... there is some drivel about not trusting the tech before.... and now we are not trusting the tech again.....
Where the brakes on a Malibu enter in to this discussion is beyond me... and I hope it stays there.....
For the Mustang... the wiper motor works... you have said so.... Why replace something that works?
Interval wipers - intermittent (please notice the spelling... some of us grade 8 drop-outs have a hard time with mis-spelled words) wipers.... we should be able to make an association here.....
What is obvious.... your "tech" is trying to fix something without adequate documentation... After nearly 40 years in this business, I refuse to attempt this kind of stuff without adequate documentation. The modern automobile is far too complex for this kind of cavalier shit....
The GEM is NOT part of the wiper motor... As another reply indicated, the multifunction switch has been a cause for concern, but without proper testing... well, if we replace enough parts, we are bound to replace the right one eventually....
If it was easy, I wouldn't have a job....

You know what Jim? I don't know if you're trying to be funny, or if you're just being a smartass. Up until you replied to this last post, I used to respect you and the information you gave out to the people needing help on this group. Who suddenly made you king of this group, just because you have a bit more experience and knowledge than others? Like others (and NO, I am not a newbie to this group, do a search), I came in here looking for help and suggestions, because I am unfamiliar with this model car, not to be talked down to like a 6 year old. What you obviously haven't realized is that I have wrenched on many other vehicles, but usually not newer than 2000. When I see a post that refers to a problem I may have had with one of my vehicles, I try to reply and help out best I can.
I guess you couldn't make the association that I took my Chevrolet vehicle to the same shop and was questionable about his work. Which is the reason I'm questioning the same shop about telling my mother to replace what seems to be a normally working wiper motor. I don't know if I can make that any clearer for you, but if you are still confused, I'm sorry.
Yes the wiper motor works. What I was asking is whether the GEM module you are talking about is inside that wiper motor or not. You answered no, so now I'll focus my attention on the other parts of the wiper system. I don't have the time or the money to go replacing every part of the wiper system until the intermittent wipers start working again, and even if I did, I wouldn't. Yeah, I already made the association between interval and intermittent wipers, in my last post. We're both talking about the same thing, just using different definitions. As far as testing the MF switch, I wasn't sure if it was possible to do so, aside from a visual inspection of the electrical contacts.
Anyone else who has information, replies are still greatly appreciated. Jim, unless you change your attitude, I don't expect a reply from you, nor will I read one. I'm sick and tired of people who are supposed to be helping out and instead make it a point to degrade others if they don't happen to be quite as knowledgeable or experienced.
Sharky
"people who are supposed to be helping" ring a bell?
Don't know if I took that out of context or not...
I've informed you about the wipers being controlled by the GEM and you are still pissy... If you don't like my style, don't read my advice... 'nuff said... Free shit is free shit... it doesn't need to be gift wrapped...
And the wipers on the 05 Mustang convertible I bought for my loving bride work quite well....
I don't know if you're trying to be funny..... Or if you're just being a smartass..... I used to respect you and the information you gave out. Who made you king of this group.... What you obviously haven't realized..... Just because you have a bit more experience.... I guess you couldn't make the association.... I don't know if I can make that any clearer for you..... If you are still confused ..... Unless you change your attitude .... I don't expect a reply from you, nor will I read one.... I'm sick and tired of people who make it a point to degrade others.... Stop nit-picking peoples posts to death. Stop being sarcastic. I didn't come here to be treated like some stupid 5 year old. WTF are you smoking? You can log off your computer and go jerk off in the corner for all I care. FYI, my mother took the car into this shop, not me. Again, who asked you to diagnose anything? If you don't have anything to add, don't reply. You must think you should be paid to answer peoples questions here. Its Canadians such as yourself that give us a bad name. ______________________________________________________
I hope the rude diatribe above does not discourage others from continuing to take the time to offer helpful suggestions.
At alt.autos.ford, people can get free advice on car problems, sometimes saving thousands of dollars. Most of the advice is from others who have experienced and solved the same problems. Some is from master mechanics, without charge. The help is truly appreciated by everyone, with very few exceptions.
Best regards and good luck to all,
Rodan.
What is your advice Rodan? I should just listen to every word Jim says, whether it helps me or not, and not defend myself when someone starts acting sarcastic when I did nothing but ask a question looking for help?
I appreciate the help I get on this newsgroup, and I'm sure the few people who I've helped out over the years appreciate the help I've given them. I am not a registered mechanic, although, when it comes to specific vehicles and their problems, there are areas where I am quite knowledgeable and add in to the topic when appropriate. I don't feel obliged to answer any posts, nor do I feel like I am owed anything when I reply. I reply because I feel that I can help out.
I'm sorry this post ended up where it did, and I also agree that this newsgroup is not the place for bickering and arguing. However, hopefully this will blow over and the newsgroup can continue to progress forward in helping those who need it.
BTW, I find it funny how you singled out everything that I said and not even one word added by Jim. Oh well.
Sharky
You singled out everything I said and not one word by Jim. Should I just listen to every word Jim says, whether it helps me or not? Should I not defend myself when Jim starts acting sarcastic?
What is your advice, Rodan? _________________________________________________________
Let go of your obsession with Jim.
Good luck.
Rodan.

It's my observation that bullies in newsgroup tend to get a lot of support. I think you were in the right side of this little dustup.
I believe the problem might lie inside the MFS itself. I had a Grand Marquis that did this very same thing until I opened up the MFS from the end, cleaned it out, (amazing how much crap builds up in there) re-greased it, put it back together, and voila! everything worked as it used to. Might be worth a try!

Barney, my next step is likely to remove the MF switch, do a visual inspection of it and possibly give it a good dose of contact cleaner. I know in an older Escort I owned, the contacts became so wore that the high/low switch stopped working and the switch had to be replaced. I just wish I knew if there were any other electrical devices wired into the wiper system that may be at fault. Unfortunately, I don't have a manual and didn't really want to invest in one unless I had to.
Thanks for your input. Sharky

Give it a shot of DeoxIT, the best contact cleaner/enhancer I ever used. Actually rejuvenates the contacts. www.deoxit.com
Mike
I'm not sure that I was clear enough in my discription, so let me try again. I removed the end of the MFS, not the entire MFS. Cleaned the contacts inside and re-greased them. Made a world of difference. Every now and then I would still have a 'hiccup' in the operation of the delay wipers, but for the most part it worked perfectly. You can find directions on the net for how to do it specifically.

Barney, I see what you mean now. You're talking about the actual wiring harness. I'm talking about the contacts inside of the switch. Nonetheless, I will probably dose the whole switch with contact cleaner, the connector and put dielectric grease on whatever needs it. If it looks too wore out, I'll just replace it.
BTW, Shaq, I've never heard of that cleaner, but I'll take a look for it, thanks for the tip.
Thanks for the clarification. Sharky

I get it at Fry's or from MCM. Her is a link to their most popular stocking distribs.: http://store.caig.com/s.nl/sc.15/category.295/.f
Enjoy. Mike