2002 Taurus AC smell

Has anyone had this problem with their ac having a bad musty smell. I have had the vehicle in 5 times and every time they have what they call deodorize the ac system. This has stopped the
smell for about a week, but after that it comes right back and sometimes stronger smell. The last time I had the car in, now they say they can not detect the smell. How can I resolve this? write a letter to Ford, to who's attention, will writing a letter fix the problem.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Bagger94

the
======================This problem is so common that Ford actually has its own Motorcraft de-odorizer. One thing you can check is the drain fron the AC evap. Sometimes they can get clogged and hold the condensation inside. You might want to check your cabin air filter too, it could be dirty and or wet.
Thanks Scott,
Is the drain and cabin filter under dash or hood.

The drain will be on pass side under hood comming through the firewall way down low. The cabin filter is probably under the ribbed cowling on the pass side by the wipers (it was in earlier years). You could spray some de-odor stuff in both of those too....
Do you think there would be any chance of Ford replacing the ac system if problem does not go away.
It sounds to me that you might be a Ford technician and have worked on this problem quite often.
Thanks for the info.

Do you turn your AC off before getting out of the car? Like turning it actually off or to vent?
If you don't physically turn your AC off before getting out of the car water will sit in the vents (condensation) and create a moldy/musty smell. By turning the AC to vent or off your letting the vents "air out" and usually gets rid of the musty smell.
Yes we do, and actually the Ford service tech said that we should turn the heat on to high before turn the ac off. We have done everything that Ford has ask us to do and it just doesn't want to go away. We were also thinking that if this continues, it could possibly turn into a health issue with the build of mold or bacteria. If have allergies and sometimes this really affects me.
The smell you have is common to many vehicles today. As others have said the drain needs to be functioning correctly. Putting the HVAC control to heat before you get out of the car will not work, neither will turning off the A/C. The theory is that it will dry out the evaporator preventing the mold growth. You found out it's not true, and fact is those few moments of hot air from the heater core or the A/C not operating is not long enough to dry the area. Take a look at how much water and how long the water drips some time after you get out of the car. All the water you see, there is still more on and in the evaporator area. Odor sprays only mask the smell, so that tends to be ineffective. You need to kill the molds that grow, it's not a bacteria problem. Ford as well as other manufactures had a mold killing solution for the problem. It is no longer distributed, I believe it was considered to toxic. So there was that nagging legal/liability issue. You can do the same thing. Make a mild solution of bleach and water. With the HVAC system on spray the bleach solution into each of the air intakes until the mist comes out the discharge registers. Turn off the HVAC and close up the car for a few hours. Do this as part of your reoccurring scheduled maintenance, and you should not have an odor problem.

I would add one thing to the bleach treatment (which works very well I might add) I recommend that after you do the bleach treatment you spray a couple of seconds worth of a product called "Ozium" into the intake. This will neutralize any remaining chemical or mold smell. This is stout stuff so a little goes a long way.
--
R. J. Talley
Teacher/James Madison Fellow

==============Be carefull with the bleach, they call it bleach for a reason ;)