2002 Taurus AC smell

Has anyone had this problem with their ac having a bad musty smell. I have had the vehicle in 5 times and every time they have what they call deodorize the ac system. This has stopped the smell for about a week, but after that it comes right back and sometimes stronger smell. The last time I had the car in, now they say they can not detect the smell. How can I resolve this? write a letter to Ford, to who's attention, will writing a letter fix the problem.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Bagger94

Reply to
jpk

======================= This problem is so common that Ford actually has its own Motorcraft de-odorizer. One thing you can check is the drain fron the AC evap. Sometimes they can get clogged and hold the condensation inside. You might want to check your cabin air filter too, it could be dirty and or wet.

Reply to
Scott M

Thanks Scott,

Is the drain and cabin filter under dash or hood.

Reply to
jpk

The drain will be on pass side under hood comming through the firewall way down low. The cabin filter is probably under the ribbed cowling on the pass side by the wipers (it was in earlier years). You could spray some de-odor stuff in both of those too....

Reply to
Scott M

Do you turn your AC off before getting out of the car? Like turning it actually off or to vent?

If you don't physically turn your AC off before getting out of the car water will sit in the vents (condensation) and create a moldy/musty smell. By turning the AC to vent or off your letting the vents "air out" and usually gets rid of the musty smell.

Reply to
bowlnduo

Do you think there would be any chance of Ford replacing the ac system if problem does not go away.

It sounds to me that you might be a Ford technician and have worked on this problem quite often.

Thanks for the info.

Reply to
jpk

Yes we do, and actually the Ford service tech said that we should turn the heat on to high before turn the ac off. We have done everything that Ford has ask us to do and it just doesn't want to go away. We were also thinking that if this continues, it could possibly turn into a health issue with the build of mold or bacteria. If have allergies and sometimes this really affects me.

Reply to
jpk

Reply to
Thomas Moats

I would add one thing to the bleach treatment (which works very well I might add) I recommend that after you do the bleach treatment you spray a couple of seconds worth of a product called "Ozium" into the intake. This will neutralize any remaining chemical or mold smell. This is stout stuff so a little goes a long way.

Reply to
Reece Talley

WOW,

Thanks Tom and Reece. I got a lot of good information here, more than I got at any dealership. I will try the bleach solution.

Again thanks for your good input.

Reply to
jpk

=============== Be carefull with the bleach, they call it bleach for a reason ;)