2002 taurus air bag light stays on

Help,

My air bag light is staying on after starting car. It will flash a few times and then stay on, any ideas?

Reply to
Jimbo

There is a problem with your airbag. I suggest taking it to your dealer to find out the problem or at least to a competent mechanic. Unless you don't mind your airbag not working in a crash.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Reply to
Jimbo

you can start by counting the flashes

Reply to
johanb

Obviously, since the light is either on or flashing, the SRS system will not work... it's not that part of it will not work.... ALL of it will not work. As for causes... there are many.

I have a very narrow view of any safety related concerns on motor vehicles. There are those that can't seem to find the desire to repair things like SRS systems.... I'm sure that they are glad that they saved their hard earned money........ as their faces pass through their windshields....

Reply to
Jim Warman

My 99 Taurus is doing the same thing. Also, the horn and cruise control stopped working. I've been told it's probably the clockspring. I will be taking into a shop in the next week or so to have it looked at, I'll let you know what I find out.

Thanks, Richard

Reply to
Richard

That's what seatbelts are for. Air bags just compliment the safety (hence SECONDARY restraint system).

Reply to
Bill 2

Remember back when SRS was being introduced? To save the people who were too dumb to wear a seatbelt, that now needs to be worn to protect the same drivers from being killed by the SRS as it deploys...... Funny how the nanny state always uses circular logic.

Reply to
Eric G

it happens some time with my car also, check if you have tings lying beneath your driver or passenger seat that can touch the wiring from your seat to your airbag controls I sometimes have a defrost spray can ling there with has the same result

With kind regards Dick

Reply to
Nobody News

They compliment the safety? They say: "Nice job" or "You look cool in seat belts?"

Air bags save lives. If the OP wants to reduce the chances of dying in a crash, he should get them fixed.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

.....That's what seatbelts are for. Air bags complement the safety (hence SECONDARY restraint system).

================================

I recall that the 3-point belt restraint system reduced death and injury severity rates in crashes by 42 per cent. Adding an air bag reduced these rates by another 5 per cent. Seat belts provide the maximum safety for their cost. Air bags are not the same bargain, but I am glad to have them for that supplemental protection.

Rodan.

Reply to
Rodan

You may be, I don't like them, as I have small framed adult family members that are scared of the injuries the bags themselves may cause. I particularly don't like the fact that there is nothing I can do about it, without causing legal problems for others. The fact remains that the feds forced the issue to save the lives of those who didn't want to wear a seatbelt, and now the folks who were supposed to be "saved" can be killed by the device that was mandated (adding more cost to the vehicle) that their vehicle be factory equipped with.

Reply to
Eric G

the feds forced the issue to save the lives of those who didn't want to wear a seatbelt, and now

the folks who were supposed to be "saved" can be killed by the device...

Wrong! Air bags were Never designed to take the place of seat belts. They were and are still intended as a suppliment to the seat belts. SRS-Supplimental Restraint System. A real good way to be injured or killed in a crash with an SRS equipped vehicle is to not wear a seat belt. Yes, they have been known to cause facial abrasions, but I'd trade that for a neck injury any day. Seat belts have been known to cause injury in some situations, but 99% of the time they save lives. Same with SRS. Nothing is foolproof.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

That's funny, I remember mid 90's, being told that they were necessary to save the lives of the folks too dumb to wear belts. That is why, a few years later the big hoopla started about the opening force of the OLD generation air bags being strong enough to kill occupants who weren't wearing the belts. Since the bags, as mentioned earlier in this group, only save an add'l 5%, why wasn't there a bigger push to make seat belt use non-optional? or was the 5% increase because people are scared to drive without the belts for fear of worse injury from the bags, so the useage of belts has gone up? Prove your 99%...

For every accident that "the belt saved his life" I remember the first MVA that I was involved with. A flatbed tractor trailer (empty) slid across a 4 lane roadway, the cab in the oncoming curb lane, the trailer end swung around on a bend, across both lanes on my side of the roadway. Unfortunately for the driver in front of me, he was wearing a standard shoulder/lap combo, that locked into place as he hammered the brake pedal (it is supposed to do that under rapid decelleration, right?). His passenger, not wearing a belt, was able to duck as the trailer took the roof off. Would that driver still be driving if he could have ducked ? We won't know, but watching the glass fall over my car, I'm sure that the belt DIDN'T save his life....................

I've seen many non-interstate accidents that just don't 'prove' that belts save lives, but I have heard about accidental discharges, potentially causing accidents and injury, as well as activations that have killed rescue workers, all of which have led to another industry: selling protective devices to fire/ems crews to keep the workers from being injured by the bags unintentional activation.

Now the time in class for DOT classes for vehicle rescue has more than doubled. All thanks to the advent of SRS and hybrids, each of which has its own class now. Heaven help the poor country area medic/rescuer who has to pay for their own training, because the rural area is too poor to help. If they can't miss work to go to the new training, they don't know what explosive cylinders or high voltage wiring that new car has, nor where they might be, but he knows the construction principles haven't drastically changed much since the unibody became popular, so he/she cuts where the metal needs removed to save someone's life. later we can read both obit's in the local paper. It's amazing just how much trouble can be caused by such a small change in the manufacturing process, simply to improve our quality of life.

Reply to
Eric G