2002 Taurus dies on me

My 2002 Taurus SE (34,000) dies on me. I am the original owner. No problems before this. Actually it conks our just when I start to accelerate, after driving for 3 to 4 miles. It restarts when I turn
the key off (won't start if I don't turn the key off, then on again), but dies again after about 100 yards. This continues. Fortunately I have been close enough to work or home to coax it there.
After it was towed, the dealer replaced the IAC motor. I drove home 6 miles. Three hours later I drove to work (4 miles) and the same thing happened. Back at the deales, they finally have been able to make it happen, after two days of testing it. There are no error codes being recorded.
They are now looking at drive shaft timing, whatever that is. I have no complaint with the dealer. I have a free loaner. I wonder if anyone has experienced a similar problem. I promise to post the solution when/if it happens.
It's always difficult to try and tell another tech how to run his diagnosis... If two of your conditions are easy to reproduce (conks out on acceleration - wont restart unless the keep is cycled to off), I can't see any big problems. Diagnosis on the side of the road is one of our least enjoyed experiences. However, if the tech can reproduce your conditions, he/she can check for the basics (fuel pressure, spark and injector pulse)without cycling the key. Any of the Ford supplied scan tools is capable of "flight recording" and could help as long as the correct parameters are selected (there is a section in the factory PC/ED to help decide which PIDs to monitor for symptom diagnostics - not perfect, but it helps).
If the shop or tech is getting frustrated trying to reproduce the concern, they "should" have the option of the VDR (vehicle data recorder)..... This is a small black box with a trigger "pen" that can be prerpogrammed using the WDS and installed in the car. When the concern occurs, the driver pushes the button on the pen and the preprogrammed PIDs are recorded... the pre and post trigger times are adjustable as well. Sadly, the VDR is under-utilized... usually, only one or two techs in a particular shop have tried to use it and called it useless becuae time wasn' taken to understand it. Oh... multiple recordings can be made depending on how much data the unit is programmed to acquire at one time.... selecting too much data can have the tool miss small glitches.
I can only suggest tha you find a gentle way of asking if OASIS, the manual or hotline may be of assistance....
"rantandy" <mkallan.comcast.net> wrote in message

Thanks Jim for your thoughtful comments. The dealer finally experienced a failure during a test drive. The loud ticking, which speeded up with engine speed(did I mention that??) that preceded the failure was also experienced by the dealer Again no error code. They kept the vehicle an additional day and gave it two extended test drives after doing the following work:
REPLACE CAM SYCHCRO PARTS:     SYNCRONIZER ASY     SENSOR ASY     VALVE ASY - THROTTLE
It is running OK now. I've driven it further than before when it died. The ticking is no longer present. (And I'm listening carefully).
Thanks again for your help.
On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 07:01:41 GMT, "Jim Warman"