2002 Taurus Electronic Climate Control

My Taurus is acting up a little strange lately. It's electronic climate control is not working properly like it should. The windshield defroster is taking "forever" to defrost my windshield in temperatures below 25 degrees Fahrenheit. The defroster would not defrost my side windows. There is insufficient heat or AC on the floor or around the car. The rear defroster is working fine. Could it be the thermostat in the electronic climate control be causing the problem? If so, what would be the estimated cost of servicing it since my car is currently out of warranty?

~CyberWolf

Reply to
CyberWolf

control is not working properly like it should. The windshield defroster is taking "forever" to defrost my windshield in temperatures below 25 degrees Fahrenheit. The defroster would not defrost my side windows. There is insufficient heat or AC on the floor or around the car. The rear defroster is working fine. Could it be the thermostat in the electronic climate control be causing the problem? If so, what would be the estimated cost of servicing it since my car is currently out of warranty?

The temperature sensor is mounted behind some small slots in the control panel (sort of on the left side on my 2000). In turn, there is a hose connect from that to the fan (upper-right of the passenger side footwell) to provide some suction. Make certain there is nothing blocking the intake, and that the hose (it's about 1" diameter white on my car) is not smashed or disconnected.

If you set the temperature to 90, it should override the sensor and provide full hot. If it's still not hot, then either the blend door is not working properly, or your heater core is clogged.

You may also want to double-check the MicronAir cabin air filter, too. It sits horizontally just below the passenger side of the windshield, under the cowl, and leaves and sticks tend to clog it up, restricting airflow. The owners manual should show how to check it. Be VERY careful with the water shield above it. If it has the flap on the side to direct water away, and you tear it off, you need to replace it or water will leak into the car!!!

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann