2002 Taurus OEM tires

Planning to look at a used 2002 Taurus SEL wagon tomorrow. Anyone know what the OEM tires on that car were (16" wheels). It's supposed to have enough milage that they've probably all been replaced, but good to know to try to judge the useage.

Mike

Reply to
wagen13

I think Ford has been using 'Continental Touring Contact AS' tires for a few years, size P215/60R16 94T. Very horrible tires with no bad- weather grip and no performance (they squealed if you even THOUGHT about going around a corner!) I had to carefully feather the throttle in the wet, and the car was dangerous in snow. I replaced them with some Firestone Affinity LH30's. Dramatic improvement, with little change in ride comfort.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

I doubt they have been replaced... unless it's got over 65,000 on it.

No one, with any sense, runs their tires near-bald anymore... the tread lasts longer than the carcass.

I have had very good luck with Goodyear Viva touring

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Mine had barely 30,000 on them when I replaced them. They still had another 20K or so left on them, but they were starting to leak, and were never any good.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

FYI Check out tire "tirerack.com" This will tell you what was original and what should be used now.

Reply to
hedoskn