2002 Taurus,Sable AC

I have a 2002 sable.Can someone tell me where the low pressure ac port is? I have a R134 hose but the fitting will not fit on the one port I can find.The port I can find is a black tube sticking up on the passengers side at front of car,but it looks like a high pressure fitting,or atleast my R134 hose won't fit it. So where do you put freon in at? Thanks

Reply to
pranthony

Sorry to say that if you can't even find the pressure port, you should not be adding refrigerant (which is NOT Freon, by the way). Blindly adding coolant to the system may cause more harm than good, including injury to yourself. Repairing an A/C system is not complicated, but like anything else, takes a bit of knowledge and some specialized tools. Ask for recommendations, find an honest shop, and have it properly diagnosed. If it's low on coolant, the leak will have to be repaired first.

Reply to
Happy Traveler

Agreed! You will also need a decent set of gauges for this project. The gauges will help you identify the low and high side. They will also tell you the state of the charge and what does need to be added if this is really your problem. Is your compressor starting? Pick up and air conditioning manual for your car on the internet or in a store before you take this project on. I think the

has some good online help.

Gerald

Reply to
gerald2003r

FIRST what are your symptoms?!!!!

Like others said, if you cant f> Agreed! You will also need a decent set of gauges for this project. The

No they wont... any more than reading out codes will tell you what failed part to replace! If you dont know what the gauge readings mean, how does that help?

THAT is the question...rather part of it. If the Compressor is turning on, then right back off, you have a low charge, IOW some has leaked out. It should not have done so in a few years... but if that's the case, you might be able to get by with another can.. or part of another, yet.

But it's gonna leak out again... and usually 'A/C 'stop-leaks' dont work.

If the Compressor doesnt start running at all, then you either have NO refrigerant in there or there's something else wrong... in which case, you dont NEED to know where the port is, just yet.

And Overcharging can ruin your system and cost more to fix than if you'd done it right in the first place.

Go to the Library, otherwise and find a recent book, like Auto A/C for dummies or something

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Amazing to get such responce for a simple question. Yes I have a set of guages.(for R134) Yes I have a ac manual. This is the first car I have seen that had no identifiable low side. Yes compressor comes on and yes it cools,just not as good as years past.

Reply to
phila

Just follow the tubing from the compressor back to the firewall. This is, by definition, the low side, and there must be a low side connector along it somewhere.

Alternatively, follow the other tube out of the compressor towards the condenser behind the radiator. This is the high side, and the tube coming out of the other side the condenser is also part of the high side, and also has to have a high side connector along it somewhere (larger in diameter than the low side connector, IIRC).

If your hose doesn't fit either connector, then either your hose is damaged, or you're not using R-134 equipment.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Bailin

The above is good info. Why do we insist on more input than just answering the question simply?

This group has gotten a rep for actually helping to solve problems; just 'pointing it out and walking away' wouldnt be in that character.

Look at it this way: it's sorta like the corporate help desk getting a call from a user asking how to reload Windows on his PC.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Yo Krusty....

That is why I said pick up a book... To understand the gauge readings... Don't Nuke me for no reason! Compresser start / no start is number one... Old systems leaked by default, it was built into the system. If the compressor doesn't start it can mean a number of differnt things. If you have the money to spend on a set of gauges and you like to play with cars they will tell you allot about what is going on... It really all depends on if you would like to pay for a shop to do it or you are really interested in cars and would like to spend money to do it yourself. It will probably cost more to understand the theory and fix it yourself then taking it to a shop... Shop cost couple hundred dollars... Your cost if you really want to take it on and fix it... 100.00 or 2... Realize it will be a project if you take it one.

And Overcharging can ruin your system and cost more to fix than if you'd done it right in the first place.

That is my reasoning for the guages...

After writing all of this I read the rest of the comment...

Bob Bailin has you on the right path... i would like to see what you find...

Gerald

Reply to
gerald2003r

Ok with the help of a tech friend of mine that works for ford dealership we found it.He said he had never seen this model sable with it located were it was.He said it is usually located next to the strut tower on a Sable,but it wasn't there.We had to get on a creeper and roller under it,to find it about 2 inches out of the compressor and yes it was the lowside and yes my gauges screwed right on it.The high side was the one I found right off in plain sight on top.He was baffled at why the low side was located there,but that is where it was. He put 1/2 pound in it and all is well.Pressure is were it should be he said.And low and behold it didn't cost me 100.00 x2.He even used a sniffer to see if he could find a sign of leak,but found nothing.

Reply to
phila

All things are Good then! Sounds, to me, like he did a good job.

And thanks for posting back... that might help some other guy with the same problem.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic