2002 Taurus SES

Am thinking of buying 02 Taurus SES. Any warnings on this model. Car has 32,000 on it. Did this model have timing belt or chain. Have these later model Taurus's been reliable? Any info or advice appreciated-----Thanks
Don
Earlier models had transmission problems. I think this has been pretty much remedied in the 4F55E aka AX4N.
It'll have one of 3 different 3.0 liter engines. They all use timing chains. The Vulcan, which is an older-style pushrod type engine. It's been around a LONG time and is durable. It's not particularly powerful though.
The Flex-Fuel is a Vulcan that's been tuned to be able to use E-85, a mostly ethanol blend. It will use either regular gas or E-85 so it's really no big deal.
The Duratec is the newest and most powerful of the three. It features a double overhead cam (DOHC) design and has 200hp/200ft/lbs of torque. It also has proven to be a reliable engine. They've been in use since 1996 in Tauruses and are also found in Escapes and a few Mazdas, including their MPV minivan.
If you want 4 wheel disc brakes, you have to get a wagon. They weren't even available on sedans. The disc/drums on the sedan come with ABS too though, and they seem to work well.
CJ

in
MPV
Correction: DOHC stands for Dual Overhead Cam. The Taurus Duratec engine is a 24 valve 3.0 V6 engine which is very reliable. The Jaguar X-Type has the same engine built on the same block, but it has 40 more horsepower than the Taurus Duratec engine. (I am an owner of a 2002 Taurus SEL Premium.)
~CyberWolf
Doofus, Dual and Double mean the same thing...
Jeez :-P
CJ

is
the
But the proper term is DUAL.

It
1996
their
the
Mine has the Vulcan engine whitch I think you will find in most of the Taurus out there. Its no race car but it does give a good MPG and the power is enough for most people. Bob
GOD BLESS THE USA Member of IPCO- International Pest Control Operators Public message board- http://www.ipconetwork.org/fmb/cboard.mv
My '98 wagon had the Vulcan. Dependable engine. However, I was rear-ended by a little old lady (nowhere near Pasadena) at a red light. That forced the purchase of a new one. I LOVE the Duratec!

rear-ended
So do I! Mine's a '02 Taurus SEL Premium. Very dependable engine and very good gas milage. My car can go up to 32 highway MPG on long trips.
~CyberWolf

Thanks for backing me up on this one, Jinx. ;-)
~CyberWolf

Thanks for the tips, sparky! (meaning: I know that!) However, the proper term for DOHC *is* Dual Overhead Cam.
~CyberWolf